Ducks sleeping in their pool?

Trishb99

Hatching
Jun 20, 2021
Hoping to get some advice. I'm a new duck mom and I may be a bit over protective. I have three 8 week old ducks that have been outside for two weeks now. Finally out of my laundry room! They are in a large enclosure (TSC poultry pens) and their duck house and pool are inside it as well. We live in a wooded area, so we buried a foot of hardware cloth around the enclosure as well as a little extra (4 feet) around the sides so nothing could reach in. I also installed motion lights all around.

The first week and a half I locked them in their house at night to get them used to sleeping in there. To my surprise, they went in on their own for a few nights. Now they want to sleep in their pool and fight me about going into their house. It's possible they are being rebellious teenagers.

My question- since their house and pool are in the enclosure...does it matter where they sleep? I suppose my worry is if a predator can see them, are they more likely to try to get in?

I had this issue a couple nights, but I made them go into their house.
My enclosure is predator proof but if a bear truly wants to get in, it will.
I also want to give the filter a chance to clean when the ducks aren't in the pool, or at least give it a chance to catch up to the mess in the pool.

Ducks would definitely rather sleep outside. But, if you keep a schedule they learn to go in their house. I also carry a broom with me to guide them the direction I want them to go. :D

Ducks would definitely rather sleep outside. But, if you keep a schedule they learn to go in their house. I also carry a broom with me to guide them the direction I want them to go. :D
That's a good idea with the broom. Ducks are a lot more difficult (or stubborn) than chickens. Took only 3 nights with the chicks! I think they should be in the house too. My boyfriend says I'm nuts and to let them sleep where they want. 🤔

That's a good idea with the broom. Ducks are a lot more difficult (or stubborn) than chickens. Took only 3 nights with the chicks! I think they should be in the house too. My boyfriend says I'm nuts and to let them sleep where they want. 🤔
Even in the best set ups, predators have been able to get in. So for me ithe extra protection offered from the housing, gives me peace of mind.

If your run is just as secure as your coop then it should not matter. Most predators that hunt at night hunt by smell so whether they can see your ducks or not, it does not generally make a difference. I don't have a run here yet (just moved in and building an aviary) so my ducks are locked in the barn at night, but before when I had a run and coop they were allowed to roam freely in the two at night then during the day they would be in the fenced areas. At our old place we saw foxes, racoons, weasels etc. on a daily basis and none were ever able to break into my run.

I lock mine up every night..of course they wamt to sleep on pond its cool and tbeir natural defense is to seek water..
I sing a song to mine and go out to lock up about 15 miutes before dark..most nights they usually are heading for or already in their house....some nights they need "help"😉..but i would never leave them out as they truly are "sitting ducks" 😄

I only have a drake and a hen rt now. I got them when they were 5 weeks old, (they are a year old this month) and am still learning (thank you byc!) but I got them bc someone found their eggs as the last 2 survivors of an attack on their mom and her nest. So. Because they didn't imprint on me and I wanted to have a relationship with them as well as keep them safe, I brought them inside every night to sleep in a crate bedside. Now they have a large duck "suite" with sun sails covering a dog house, stock tanks and a mud patch for their days, but I carry them inside in a crate for the night. They hang in the bathroom, swim in the tub, and I cover the floor with old towels I wash everyday. I want to get two more hens their same age, and I'll carry them in as well, 2 to a crate. These guys are sooo much fun and great stress relievers. At times during summer I rise later, so B4 I carry them outside to their enclosure I cover my bed with an old blanket and Victor will come nap near me after his night of guarding his woman . I run a dog rescue from home and work full time an hour way 10 mos a year, so the relationship with my ducks is more work (the poop!) But I felt like Sally Field when I realized IMG-20230618-WA0002.jpeg IMG_20230615_141126_766.jpg they liked me! They really liked me!!

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_110647_346.jpg
    IMG_20230617_110647_346.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom