Ducks staggering one day, fine the next???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dixiebird, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Dixiebird

Dixiebird New Egg

May 12, 2011
    Hey!

We have 3 female Welsh Harlequin ducks and lately they've been acting very strange. Sometimes, when we go to let them out in the morning one of them will be staggering and flapping her wings then she'll just stop and sit. Sometimes she only does this in the mornings, sometimes all day. But then the next day she'll be fine; acting like nothing was ever wrong. At first I thought it was just the one duck that was acting this way, but then yesterday, one of the other ducks was doing the same thing. Today she's fine and the other duck is doing it again!

I have no idea what could be causing it; it doesn't seem to be particularly life-threatening since it's been going on for about a month. We have several buckets of water for them to swim in, which we dump and re-fill every day in winter and twice a day in summer. They free-range in our garden with our 4 chickens. I don't think it is anything critical, but if anyone else has had this problem I would sure like to know what causes it!

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by