Ducks struggling with the cold

-What brand and %protein are you feeding?

-Does your coop have proper ventilation to allow the moisture to flow out and prevent their feet form getting frostbite?

-How deep is your bedding in your coop?

-Are your ducks outside or do you sometimes bring them inside your house?
I’m not sure on the brand and the protein % I need to look at that the next time I get a bag of food. Our local feed store only offers one type and brand of duck feed. We have some other chain stores like Murdoch’s and tractor supply but I’ve just always gone to the local feed store. So I’m assuming and and I probably shouldn’t be that it’s what they need.
Our coop has top vents in it that let the air flow through. It’s a pretty good size coop. It was actually already built when when we bought the house. The people before us had chickens and ducks. I would say it’s probably an 6ft x 8ft coop with a dirt floor. It’s tall enough that I can stand up in it and I’m about 5’4. I have 9 bales of straw in there. 3 on the ground, 3 that make a u shape that they can snuggle in when the wind is blowing really hard and then the rest of the bales are spread out around the outside of the bales and on the inside of the bales.

Do you provide them with any straw? I clear snow and have straw paths. The ducks initially don't like the cold, but they will get used to it. Also, the laying down is their way of warming their feet.

Some good tips here: https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2013/12/cold-weather-tips-for-winter-duck-care.html
Thanks for all the amazing tips on how to find a reliable site. Super helpful. I’m constantly trying to read and figure out if I need to be doing something different for them.

Only thing I'd be concerned about is leaving water out that they could sit in over night with temps you are talking about. We had member years back that had a mallard who sat in his rubber bowl overnight and he was froze in it the next morning. He had frost bite really bad and was losing his leg the last we heard from her.
On no!! That’s awful 😢 poor little guy. They get warm oatmeal at night and a small bowl of water. It’s not big enough to get in just big enough to dip their beaks in. I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing for them. The summer was pretty easy but the winter is a little different and I find myself worrying on those especially chilly nights.

Thanks for all the amazing tips on how to find a reliable site. Super helpful. I’m constantly trying to read and figure out if I need to be doing something different for them.
I do lay straw out in the run when it snows and the coop is full of straw that they can get in to.

I’m not sure on the brand and the protein % I need to look at that the next time I get a bag of food. Our local feed store only offers one type and brand of duck feed. We have some other chain stores like Murdoch’s and tractor supply but I’ve just always gone to the local feed store. So I’m assuming and and I probably shouldn’t be that it’s what they need.
Our coop has top vents in it that let the air flow through. It’s a pretty good size coop. It was actually already built when when we bought the house. The people before us had chickens and ducks. I would say it’s probably an 6ft x 8ft coop with a dirt floor. It’s tall enough that I can stand up in it and I’m about 5’4. I have 9 bales of straw in there. 3 on the ground, 3 that make a u shape that they can snuggle in when the wind is blowing really hard and then the rest of the bales are spread out around the outside of the bales and on the inside of the bales.
If it's not a duck specific feed that could potentially also be a partial cause of the laying down. Chicken feeds often are low in niacin which ducks need much more of. It's often better to mix in or switch to a higher protein feed in the cooler months rather than mixing in things like oats and corn because they will take away from the nutrients your duck in receiving from the feed. If your ducks are on a chicken feed , you're giving them oatmeal and with the higher energy requirements because of the cold there is a good chance they could be niacin deficient. I would recommend picking up a b complex or a poultry vitamin with Niacin and start them on it. It won't hurt them if it's not the case and it will still be a good nutrient boost.

I've been concerned about my ducks when it gets into single digits/teens but they're supposed to be pretty hardy. Their coop is partially closed off and covered on one side and open on the other side with a 50 gallon tub for swimming. During the winter, we put a small pond de-icer in the tub to keep it from freezing and generally they seem to love hanging out on the open side of the coop swimming around in the water (or standing around the water chatting with the ducks who are swimming) at night.

We also make sure they have access to lots of food during the winter and their little "duck houses" inside the coop are stuffed with straw and pine shavings so they have plenty of options to get out of the wind, snow, and cold.

I think the biggest thing is having a nice dry area they can go to to get out of the cold/rain/snow/wind etc. If it gets too cold I wouldn't be opposed to giving them some kind of heat source but so far it hasn't come to that.

You all were so helpful in this post. I love this forum and the interaction it offers. So many great ideas and questions. Thank you all for taking the time to get back to me isn’t appreciated so very much. I do feel better about this winter and out little feathered babies. Although I’m sure I’ll be on here again at some point to ask more questions 😜

They will be fine biggest thing is to provide shelter, and dry bedding, i give my crew a big nest of hay/straw(straw is hard for me to get, hay is easy and cheap) outside where they seem to like to lay under a big maple tree, when its super deep i use snowshoes to make them little paths to their food and water. I have 2 heated water buckets for them, i feed in the coop, and wish i hadnt started that, it is quite literally like feeding the birds, once you start…
I also choke down their area to give the fencer an easier time of it with the snow. They don't move around nearly as much in the winter, probably conserving energy.
In any event, dry bedding inside and a place Outside also dry to lay down and soak up the sun. They will do just fine .

Back
Top Bottom