Ducks survived dog attack

ajones28650

Chirping
Jun 12, 2021
North Carolina
I have searched posts extensively since our nightmare started two days ago. We have 3 Pekin ducks, and a goose who is just a bit younger than the ducks. My own dog attacked them on Friday morning. (We have since solved the issue of dog attack and guaranteed he cannot get to them again). I am devastated! The goose is unscathed, and one female duck has a minimal bald spot and a bit of a limp but is doing great otherwise. Our other female and male, on the other hand, bore the brunt of the attack. Feathers ripped from their backs, their skin is raw and a few open wounds. We are treating them with antibiotics, and probiotics/electrolytes in their water, keeping their wounds cleaned. (Thank you to everyone who posted so much advice on here already, as this forum is where I found all the tips I needed not to lose my mind at the sight of their wounds!)

My concern is that while both badly injured ducks are eating and drinking well, are very perky still, not lethargic, but neither wants to walk. When they do walk a little bit they use their hocks(?) as well as their feet to hobble around. I have given them some water therapy daily, they swim well enough considering, they stretch and flap their wings and enjoy being in the water. But they will not walk.

I told my family that they had to show improvements by day 3, or we would have to make a hard decision. In many ways they have improved greatly. I am just worried about their walking. Tomorrow is day 3 post attack. Should I remain hopeful about their progress thus far and continue to let them rest and heal before giving up? Or is the walking issue a lost cause?

Even though there are no visible wounds on the legs that doesn't mean that nothing is sprained, pulled, fractured or the dogs could have very well caused damage to a tendon that you will never see. It sounds like if anything they need support for their legs and time the same given if someone broke or sprained something. Think about it this way...it takes people anywhere from 1-3 weeks to heal from a sprained ankle alone. 3 days is not enough time for a duck to heal from a leg injury let alone a full on dog attack. If an animal has the will to live let them live if they were suffering and had given up they wouldn't be eating, drinking and still their perky selves.

Doesn't sound like they are suffering just need more time.
please keep us updated on their progress
Thank you! We are keeping them in the kitchen quiet, calm, and clean for their wounds and letting them rest their legs. They do enjoy swimming still so we are letting them do that at least once a day in the tub. I know they are missing their friends outside but at least have each other right now. As long as they are still happy we will give them all the time they need to get better but didn’t want to put them through anything unnecessarily!
Thank you all for your advice!

UPDATE: tomorrow will be one week post attack. Our female duck is back to her normal bossy, feisty self. No lingering limp, just some feathers to grow back now.
Our male duck, however, has not fared so well. He is still having major mobility issues so I am taking him to the vet tomorrow for X-rays. I don't have a vet close by who sees ducks, but our regular vet said she would examine and X-ray him to see what is going on with his legs. I don’t know what action we can take with him if anything is broken. Still heartbroken that this has happened, and feel even more guilty that it was MY dog who did it. So I am going to do everything available for the little guy that I can.

Great to hear your female is back to normal. Sure hope nothing is broken with your drake and if a sprain just needs more time to heal. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Great to hear your female is back to normal. Sure hope nothing is broken with your drake and if a sprain just needs more time to heal. Thanks for keeping us updated.
No breaks or fractures seen on X-rays! Bringing him home for some more rehab and some anti inflammatory medication. As long as he is happy we will take care of his special needs and accommodations for his mobility. Amazing how attached we have become to three ducks in 9 weeks!!

Back
Top Bottom