Ducks swam away

SergeantSniffle

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Ok so this might sound a little strange, but 3 of our pekin ducks literally swam away. We took them to a lake to sarm around (since the only body of water they have swam/stood in is a shallow kiddie pool) with the leader on a harness and leash. A foolish move...

The two started swimming away so tried to chase them back in but they were too fast, and soon they were 50+ feet away. We didn't want the remaining duck, Cheese, to be alone, so we let him go too. We followed them and within a few minutes they were hundreds of feet away from where they started, splashing in the lilies halfway across the lake. We went to get a friend's paddleboards in attempt to chase them back, but when we returned they were out of sight.

Has anybody had pekins swim away in a lake or something similar? How long do they survive? I'm guessing they'll be fine until winter, unless they get eaten. There's plenty of food (and water, duh). We ordered a small boat as we have wanted one for a while, and it would be useful to catch our ducks.

Last edited:
Please forgive me for laughing. I can just picture the scene. Happy little duckies swimming away while panicked humans freak out. This is exactly what I would fear.

I probably would have kept the 3rd behind so that his noises might call the other two back.
How big is the lake?

Last edited:
Don't be ashamed I laughed too. They went up to a boat and started splashing, flapping their wings and quacking away, the last we saw them they were playing in the lilies. The lake is pretty huge. It's eagle lake in Maple Grove MN, which is connected to pike lake with a small stream or something.

I assume you're there each day shaking feed bags and calling them. I'm sure they'll be thrilled until the first predator attacks, then they'll be looking for Mommy & Daddy! Poor things. Keep us posted.

I would try my best to catch the ducks and bring them home. If you have to borrow a boat and take a cage and a big net to get them. These ducks aren't suppose to be in the wild they cannot fly and get away from predators. They are used to getting feed everyday. When you catch them please don't take them back to the lake. A kiddie pool is fine for them.

My sister lives out at a lake and their friends got some ducklings this spring...They also swam away and are a big hit at the lake..They go visit all the other people but never come to shore at their place. They hope to catch them this fall??
SO, YOUR NOT ALONE!
Haha! Silly Ducks.........

I hope you can catch them :(

I probably would have kept the leader too, he would have eventually called them back I'm sure as they were maybe just testingtesting the freedom. But then again if they decided to ditch him and be free ducks you're right he would have been alone

Thanks for all of the replies. I went to see if I could spot them today, and I couldn't see any of them. I don't think predators are a big problem, the only birds of prey around this lake are the occasional osprey and bald eagle, which eat mainly fish, but could also eat ducks. Also, I found a picture from when they were swimming away. Hopefully they survive long enough for me to catch them. In the meantime, they're probably entertaining fisherman and people on their boats.

Back
Top Bottom