1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks that lay colored eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OhTisLove, Jan 13, 2010.

1. plight79

plight79 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2010
    Finger Lakes Region, NY
    Quote:Well, the ducks we had at the winery were definitely Cayuga Blues and they never layed black eggs...the closest would be a light grayish blue. Maybe it had to do with their diet?

2. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Quote:Good luck! it seems like other than black runners laying black/gray eggs early on in the season the colors for runners is pretty random.

3. plight79

plight79 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2010
    Finger Lakes Region, NY
    [​IMG]

This is the range of colors for Cayugas...I never once saw the black...maybe it doesn't happen often?

4. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    mine are mutts and 2 of them law green and the other one lays white.My camera is broke or I would have posted a pic

5. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Maybe cayuga blues lay blue eggs, but i know for sure that black cayugas lay a black egg at the beginning of the season and it gets lighter throughout the laying season.

6. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    I had two cayugas laying this fall - one laid a white egg while the other laid a dark brown egg. I do have some magpies laying right now and three will lay very large white eggs while one will lay a smaller blue egg. I think it just depends on the individual duck - however, I am sure there are breeds that will lay mostly colored eggs such as the Mallard.

7. Goldendoodles

Goldendoodles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    I have two dark campbells ,that I got out of the assorted ducklings box in tsc, who lay beautiful green eggs. I would post a pic, but we ate them all [​IMG] We have a cayuga that started off laying kind of tinted eggs, but hers are now indistinguishable from the khaki's.

8. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Quote:This was my experience. The first couple eggs from my cayuga hens (black with the green sheen) were almost black like in the picture on here. The bloom could be washed off with a rough wash cloth until it was only gray. Then they started to be more gray as they were laid and washed to almost white. Haven't had a gray egg in over a month. Either my 2 cayugas quit laying for winter or they are now as white as what I get from my Welsh Harlequins and Khakis. The girls just started laying in October.

9. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    My Runners lay light blue green eggs - I'll try to get a picture this morning. The rest, from my Magpie/Runner mixes, seem to all be white.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by