Ducks too cold in winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by schweger83, Nov 3, 2011.

1. schweger83

schweger83 New Egg

Nov 2, 2011
    Hello all,
    My dad has two ducks that he bought this spring. They have spent the summer free ranging. They used to go in at night with the chickens but then they started refusing to go in so they have been sleeping up next to the house. Now that winter is coming, I am worried about them getting too cold. I took the doghouse, that they used to sleep in as ducklings, outside and filled it with straw. There is a small feeder inside the doghouse and the ducks will go in to eat but have yet to sleep in it. Should I be concerned or just leave them be? Thanks!

2. inputoutput

inputoutput Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Cumberland, MD
    I live in Western MD and I've caught my ducks swimming at night, even in this recent bout of snow we've had. They hunker down in the shelter when they want to.

Now my chickens on the other hand refuse to go into their coop constantly so I've just started putting them in there despite their grumpyness with being moved. If it seems like your ducks are just being stubborn out of habit I would close them in at night. Just as long as they have water and such.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Ducks are very cold hardy. I live in a colder winter climate and mine have always done just fine.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Ducks do better if left to the outside. They seem to have a knack for finding places out of the wind and they have even better insulation and waterproofing than chickens. Think of all the wild ducks and geese out there in the coldest of places~God designed them well!

5. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My ducks have shelter if they want it but they usually just find a decent place outside and huddle up. I'd just make sure they had an option of somewhere to go that is duck friendly but otherwise leave them out.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd be more concerned about predators getting them than the cold hurting them. Mine would all be gone as someones dunner if i didn't lock them up at night.

7. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    winter is duck hunting season, we have more ducks around here in the ice and snow than we do in the summer months. they have all that fat and feathers for a reason. all they need is a small shelter to get out of the extreme weather. mine live under my chicken coop when it gets real bad. so far they've made it through a hurricane, hail and snow this year alone with no problems

8. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

They swim in ice holes in CO, in the mountains. They thrive in the cold. It would have to be awfully cold to be too cold for a grown duck.

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    They are staying outside on purpose, they know it's getting colder and the more time they spend outside in the cold away from what humans consider protection, they are building up the winter hardiness. growing thick oily under down feathers and becoming acclimated. They know what they need better than humans do and it helps them regulate their internal temps to the weather.

10. schweger83

schweger83 New Egg

Nov 2, 2011
    Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by