Ducks wandering too far in the rain

jlindkny101

Hatching
Jan 30, 2023
I know ducks love the rain, and I've never thought twice about it until one of my ducks got ran over last Sunday when it was raining all day. They usually just splash in the puddle on the corner (neighborhood road) by the pond, but we found her body down the road 3 additional houses.

Now when it's raining, I freak out and gather them up in their cage. It would kill me to lose anymore, but I feel awful for holding them back from their fun.

What would you all do? Lock them up in the rain or pray they survive and let them play?

I know ducks love the rain, and I've never thought twice about it until one of my ducks got ran over last Sunday when it was raining all day. They usually just splash in the puddle on the corner (neighborhood road) by the pond, but we found her body down the road 3 additional houses.

Now when it's raining, I freak out and gather them up in their cage. It would kill me to lose anymore, but I feel awful for holding them back from their fun.

What would you all do? Lock them up in the rain or pray they survive and let them play?
Could you get a fenced off area for them where they can feel the rain, but can’t wander off too far?

Could you get a fenced off area for them where they can feel the rain, but can’t wander off too far?
Then they wouldn't have immediate access to the pond. It's a privately owned pond behind our house and then a neighborhood so I wouldn't be able to fence in the pond, but maybe I can figure out a way to fence in a portion of the yard and let them wander there when it's raining? Thanks.

Then they wouldn't have immediate access to the pond. It's a privately owned pond behind our house and then a neighborhood so I wouldn't be able to fence in the pond, but maybe I can figure out a way to fence in a portion of the yard and let them wander there when it's raining? Thanks.
I know it seems like a downgrade, but they'd be perfectly happy with a kiddie pool in a fenced area for most the time- that's the only way to protect them, and they'd soon adjust to it.
I'd definitely choose the more cautious option, opposed to letting them to their thing.

Sorry for your loss, must have been a horrible shock :hugs

Back
Top Bottom