Ducks with Chickens?

Chad OH

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Hello everyone!
I am new to this forum, which came highly recommended by a friend and co-worker.
I have a 1/2 acre pond and I have thought about getting some ducklings from TSC for a few years now to keep as pets.
I know nothing about ducks but currently have 4 Buff Orpington Hens & 1 Buff Roo.
I have a pen in the barn for the chickens and was wondering if the Buffs & the ducklings would get along together in the pen (6'x 10')?
Ideally as they get older, it would be nice to let them free range full time and have some type of small shelter near my pond.
Also, I am in Ohio, so we do get some cold weather, not sure if the ducks would migrate south in the winter?
I have young children as well, so if there are any breeds that would be friendlier and quieter than others it would be preferred.
Basically looking for any guidance anyone would be willing to offer this newby.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Have a great day,
Chad

I have call ducks and chickens together.. they all do fine. My friend has ducks/geese/chickens together. They free range in a fairly large area though, so it might come down to a pen size thing and everyone being able to get away from each other as needed? Are you able to make a little blocked off area until the ducklings are big enough to defend themselves from being picked on? A Dogloo makes a great cover from the weather too.... The ducks WILL make a big mess of the food and water, so I have a separate waterer in the hen house-away from ducks-plus the outside 'pond' and waterer... I don't have water/food in the night time enclosure either so it stays cleaner/drier. They go in at dark and are back out by 6 AM... as far as types--and someone can certainly correct me?--but I think Muscovies are the quietest and also the calmest? And I don't think they are much for flying? I am sure you will get some more feedback!
hope that helps!
smile.png

I have Mallard ducks and Rhode Island Red chickens together. It works - kind of. They are now 10 months old. The ducks want wet and the chickens want dry. When the drakes have their hens down the chickens go after the them. The drakes are having issues with their "organs" and the Reds are chasing the "worm" or so they think. We are definitely making two seperate houses for them very soon.

Back
Top Bottom