Ducks with sneezes...Treatment?

cthrash1

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset, KY
One pair of my ducks looks to be sneezing a lot or trying to clear their noses. How do I treat them? Do I use the same treatment as chickens or just let it run its course?

Make sure your ducks have buckets of clean water to dunk their heads in and blow out their nares (nostrils) and see if that helps.

I say buckets, because when they need the depth, buckets are easier to make sure the water is fresh and clean.

I don't have buckets but those 3 gallon rubber bowl looking things from TSC and a bin that is about 3 gallons and about 6" deep. Is this okay?

ETA: And I give them fresh water at least daily and most times twice a day because they mess it up so quickly. Oh yea and they are the call ducks and can barely get into the bin which is why I bought the 3 Gal rubber ones because they are just a little bit shorter than the bin. I plan on getting them a baby pool next Spring...I just got them too late in the year to get them one this year. Hope these are deep enough.

Last edited:
They need it deep enough to dunk their whole heads in.
If they can do that, it will be fine.
smile.png

Okay thanks, I am totally new to ducks and I really do appreciate your input, I was getting worried about those two...And one more question...Is the doghouse I have in their pen okay for this winter? It has the rubber flaps but if need be I can probably make a light weight door for it(it's not wood). Am thinking of putting it on the ground and already have shavings in it. Right now it is up on a pallet set on a brick enclosure and they go underneath it to sleep on the ground...Won't go in yet.

Hey cthrash1, do you have any Oxine? You can treat the ducks' water with 1/8 tsp. Oxine per gallon of water, and that will keep down the yuck in their water. Check out Shagbark Bantams website for more info. I got mine from First State Vet Supply. You can also mist the coop with a mixture of this (different dilution), and it helps prevent fungal infections of the respiratory system.

Oxine is a type of chlorine that breaks down into a simple salt. It is very safe for treating drinking water; it kills bacteria, viruses, and protozoa; and it has been used all over the world to clean up water supplies.

Jenski

Thanks Jen I'll check around here...Don't recall seeing it but wasn't looking either. Can I use this in the water on a continuous basis or is it just for treatment? Can I also use it in the chickens water.

cthrash1, I rotate it into the drinking water (1/8 tsp per gallon) once a week as a preventive. You can use in chicken water and duck water.

The day after I change out the Oxine water, I use a probiotic in the water (MMH Immuno Charge) to replenish all the helpful bacteria that might have been killed off.

Here is the link for the quart size ~

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=294

I just do this on an ongoing basis to keep the bacteria count down. This also cuts down on fungal issues, sour crop, etc. If I have respiratory stuff going on, I now mist the inside of the coop at bedtime with a slightly different dilution (6.5 oz. per gallon) I keep in a fine mist spray bottle.

Hope that helps. Feel free to call me if you have any more questions.

Back
Top Bottom