Ducks won't lay eggs.

wildhomestead

Hatching
Dec 29, 2020
I have raised Pekins for 3 years and have found them to be very reliable layers. Once they start laying, I always get 1 egg everyday even through winter. However, this year has been different and I cannot figure it out. I have a duck coop maybe 100 yards from my chickens coop. They have a small pond, and ample room. When my ducks were of age they did start laying, but then quit. I checked for predators, egg thieves, or other nesting sites and couldn't find anything. I added some calcium to their diet and they began laying again for a few weeks and then quit again. I did find an old nest outside and moved the eggs to the coop and hoped they would lay, but they didn't. They also weren't laying outside anymore either. This started in the beginning of November. About three weeks ago I took two of my ducks up to my chicken coop since it is completely enclosed to see if they would lay there. I've never had an issue with ducks laying up there. After three weeks of being in the chicken coop they started laying. I cannot figure out why they wont lay at the duck pin. I have ruled out something stealing the eggs or other nesting sites. I'm starting to think there is something in the duck enclosure that is keeping them from laying. There are a lot of black walnut trees and black walnuts that end up in the pond? Maybe the duck coop doesn't get the sunlight my chickens coops gets (because the chicken coop is higher on a hill). The other difference is: at the chicken coop they have constant access to water, but at the duck coop I have to lock them up at night and I don't have water in the coop. Sometimes I am late letting them out in the morning (sorry, I have a newborn) so maybe they are going to long without water? Any help would be appreciated.

Are the Pekins three years old?

I would expect age to be playing a factor in the egg laying issue

Are the Pekins three years old?

I would expect age to be playing a factor in the egg laying issue

Thank you for your response! No ,these ducks are less than a year but definitely laying age. I have one that is going on 1.5 years, a black runner who quit laying at the beginning of last year and started turning white. I know she molted, but even after molt she never started laying again. As far as my Pekins I started to suspect is was the amount of light the duck coop was getting since it is down in a valley portion of our yard. I added a window to the back of the coop and in a few days I had 2 girls start laying (out of 3). I have bought a solar light to put in the coop, but haven't installed it yet. I'm going to wait and see if this extra window has done the trick or if they'll mysteriously stop laying again.

Thank you for your response! No ,these ducks are less than a year but definitely laying age. I have one that is going on 1.5 years, a black runner who quit laying at the beginning of last year and started turning white. I know she molted, but even after molt she never started laying again. As far as my Pekins I started to suspect is was the amount of light the duck coop was getting since it is down in a valley portion of our yard. I added a window to the back of the coop and in a few days I had 2 girls start laying (out of 3). I have bought a solar light to put in the coop, but haven't installed it yet. I'm going to wait and see if this extra window has done the trick or if they'll mysteriously stop laying again.
It is good that they are laying again!

I am waiting on my hens to start up again

Back
Top Bottom