ducks.

ewaugaman

Songster
7 Years
Sep 30, 2012
I have two ducks a male and a female, my question is when she lays an egg in her coop she never sits on them. I left about 10 eggs in there once to see if she will finally go in there to lay on them and she never did so I pulled them. actually I don't need baby ducks so that is really why I pull them.

second of all I still keep there pool up the male gets in there all the time, but I have noticed she does not get in the pool anymore. Of course they drink from it all the time.
My question is when it is so cold out I noticed they stay out in the cold. is this normal? She goes in to lay her egg and then she is out again. I have a light out there for them but they would rather stay outside in the cold. Is this normal?

Thank you Edie

I still let my chickens out during the day, they go out and scratch, but it is cold out, should I keep them in there coop in the winter time.

My runner ducks thoroughly enjoy jumping in the pool all year long. If I can't fill their 15-gallon black "winter pool" (in the summer, they have a plastic baby pool) without the water immediately freezing, then they take turns standing in the heated water dish that is SUPPOSED to be their drinking water.

They generally can't wait to get out of their shelter every morning, no matter the temperature. The shelter is a modified chicken run, wrapped in hardware cloth but with plywood walls on the ends. They are definitely all-weather birds.

My girls began their winter egg-laying vacation last month. I won't see eggs from them again until about April.

Only 1 Runner egg yesterday so hopefully mine will take a break over winter, those little things are egg laying machines the Buffs too.

Mine don't seem to mind the cold but boy they sure didn't like getting stuck in the snow.

they are always free range really I should change there pool water every couple of days. that is a lot of water usage. Thank you

they are always free range really I should change there pool water every couple of days. that is a lot of water usage. Thank you. if I empty there pool water and keep it empty should I just fill there water dish would that be better for them.

Back
Top Bottom