Ducks?

Jazzymond573

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 5, 2008
WI
I have a few questions...

*What do ducks eat?
*Can a few be housed or run around the yard with chickens?
*Anyone have any pictures of an enclosure?
*Are the eggs yummy?
smile.png

*What would the brooder be like?
*Can you buy them online?

What about geese?

Thanks for looking!
Jazz

Last edited:
Ducks will eat alot just about anything when allowed to forage. but I assume you are asking about grain. there are some grains made special for waterfowl but for a pet a simple grower cal pellet will do. Ducks can be house with chickens but I do not recommend it. Ducks can be messy with the water and the chickens may beat on tehm. There is a wide randge of enclosures that will suffice a duck. The eggs are wonderful, very yummy. You can brood duck just like chickens but again they WILL make a mess with the water don't let the brooder stay wet too long. YOu can get ducks/ducklings from many online sources. Anymore questions don't be afraind to ask this site is always here to help great resource.

The desion is made! We are getting ducks!

What is a good, easy-to-get, breed of duck?
What kinds of treats do they get?
Housing?

Now I reaaaally need the information
smile.png

Quote:
I feed my ducks the same thing I feed the chickens. They start out on unmedicated starter, and I start adding oats when they're 4 weeks old. Now that my ducks are older, they're getting layer feed, oats, and some corn.

They can be housed with chickens, but ducks make a terrible mess with their food and water, so I house mine separately. They are in their own coop. The coop looks like a large dog house, about 4 feet tall. Their food and water is kept outside the coop at all times because they make such a mess.

We like duck eggs better than chicken eggs. They are larger and have more flavor and are fantastic for baking.

You brood them just like chickens. Because they are so messy, I brooded mine outside from day 1 in a fully insulated coop with a lamp for heat.

You can buy geese and ducks online.

My ducks favorite treat is a mix of Cheerios, spinach, and yogurt.

Almost any breed of duck will be fine for a first timer. Just think about what you want - if you don't want to deal with flying and wing clipping, don't get Mallards or Muscovies. If you want lots of eggs, get Khaki Campbells, Welsh Harlequins, or Runners.

Good luck!

Jazzymond573- I just wanted to say that the leopard Appy in your avitar is stunning! My gelding is out of 2 leopards.

And ducks are awesome. Easy to care for and fun to watch...even if they are a little messy.

Last edited:
*What do ducks eat?

I use game bird feed but mine also freerange. We were gardening today so they got night crawlers. YUM!!! They also like bok choy, cabbage, lettuce, green beans, peas, etc... Basically whatever greens we are using in the kitchen, they get the ends, wilted pieces, stems, etc..
So far the only think my guys don't like are alfalfa sprouts.
*Anyone have any pictures of an enclosure?

This is being rebuilt right now. A pretty horrible wind storm blew the roof off and it isn't predator proof.
1002336ck4.jpg

*Are the eggs yummy?

Yes
*What would the brooder be like?

Like this when they are really little. I am going to need something bigger very soon. DAAAMMMMNNNN they grow fast!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=143262
*Can you buy them online?

Yes. Google Duck Hatchery​

Last edited:
I have 6 ducks, 5 flying mallards and one appleyard/mallard hen. They were brooded in a baby pool in my garage with a heat lamp. I used straw in the pool but yes, they make it a watery mess in 24 hours. Mine eat chick-starter because of it's higher protein content, and they like oats, lettuce, any form of green veggie except peppers, and whatever non-meat leftover I'm getting rid of (usually). They free range all day, and 5 can fly well. They stay right around home and pen themselves at dusk. On very cold nights, we return to the baby pool instead of the outdoor pen/doghouse setup. They still love waking me with the "high-ball call" at 5:30 a.m. from the attached garage.
Nothing will entertain you like ducks - they are such characters. They love to swim so be sure to have a baby pool full on permissable days.

Here's what I have learned so far......

NONmedicated starter

Right now they are with the other birds in the brooder... but they make such a mess in the water that if I had to do it again they would have their own brooder
wink.png
Plus then they could have a swimming area 24/7... right now I take them for a daily swim in the sink. Otherwise I would worry that the chicks would manage to drown themselves
tongue.png

They will have their own pen as soon as it's time to move out. Search for duck pens... there are some great ideas here on the BYC
smile.png

I have one Runner that I am particularly fond of.... and not knowing if it was going to be a girl or boy... I bought 3 extra ducklings and I will keep whichever one it pairs up with and will rehome the other two... or eat them, but I hope to find a home for them
wink.png

From what I've seen of the ducks at the local water park... they tend to pair with like birds... BUT there are some pairs that are completely opposite each other... LOL So obviously they don;t mind ducks of another breed
smile.png
The only thing to be mindful of, which doesn't even apply to you, but I thought I would mention anyhow LOL... is that Muscovies are not exactly ducks and when to a duck will throw mules which are sterile... or at least that is my understanding
smile.png

A Pekin and a Khaki would be fine together, I would think. I've seen plenty of folks on here with nice flocks of mixed ducks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom