Ducks

Stanlyb

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
Hello everyone I'm not new to poultry but kinda new to ducks. I rescued these two, jake and rory from some people who just didn't want them. I'm not sure that kind of ducks they are or even their sex. I just want to love them and have them hang out with my chickens. They have integrated well with all my chickens but still getting used to me. If any one has any tips, hacks, advice I'm all ears and thanks for the help
IMG_20230811_203221742_HDR.jpg

Aww..2 cute ...they are very messy creatures from my experience. I am unable to believe that water is still so clean. what is that you are feeding them? Mine free range and we feed scratch and starter year round. Ducks are very protective of the others in their group. If one of yours is a male he will make sure his female is protected at all costs, even watch over her while she is laying or sitting eggs. My only male even tried to attack a fox over his girls. They have always been scared of me eventhough im the first thing they saw after they hatched. They are so beautiful. Get em a pool if ya can....mine have 3 kiddie pools in the yard

Aww..2 cute ...they are very messy creatures from my experience. I am unable to believe that water is still so clean. what is that you are feeding them? Mine free range and we feed scratch and starter year round. Ducks are very protective of the others in their group. If one of yours is a male he will make sure his female is protected at all costs, even watch over her while she is laying or sitting eggs. My only male even tried to attack a fox over his girls. They have always been scared of me eventhough im the first thing they saw after they hatched. They are so beautiful. Get em a pool if ya can....mine have 3 kiddie pools in the yard
I've got two pools and feeding pyramid duck food and free range in the yard..

Your ducks are cute! I love ducks, more than all other poultry. Here's some random advice from my own duck keeping experience:

• Give 'em niacin at the first sign of limping (knowledge courtesy of BYC)
  • Put their food dish high enough so they can't step in it
  • Don't let them get access to the chickens' water or food - they'll drain the water and clog the food dish
  • A tray or heavy bowl or a turkey roasting pan works well as a food dish.
  • Don't keep them on concrete (it's bad for their feet)
  • Their run should be covered in something that's easy to spray off (wood, drainage rocks, or landscaping/weed barrier fabric (the expensive kind). Hopefully you have good soil (anything but clay :()
  • Lay feed bags on the floor of their coop and put the bedding on top of those - it will make cleaning so much easier!
  • Always give them twice as much water as you think they'll need.
That's all for now :). Enjoy your ducks!!

Back
Top Bottom