Ducks!

Misfit Meadows

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
I have 6 Pekin ducks who have recently started to become sexual. I have 3 drakes and 3 hens. I close all of my birds in at night and thought that would make the Pekin ducks lay their eggs inside. Is this true? I have been reading alot that Pekins are famous for laying eggs anywhere they feel like and rarely in the same place. Is there anything I can do to prevent this and help ensure they start laying inside and dont pick up the habbit of making an egg hunt for me?

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!
LL

Keep an eye on those drakes. If they start gang breeding your hens, there is the possibility for injuries or drowning if they are mating on water. One drake could handle all 3 hens.

ive started to notice that the drakes are all over one of the hens. she tries to run away a lot but there are 3 on 1 so it makes it hard. should i separate them. when i got them they were unsexed babies so i didnt realize i was getting 3 drakes. is there something i should be doing differently?

You may need to re home 2 drakes, they tend to gang up and your girls are going to be exhausted. Separating does help but from my experience they will find a way out, they want a mate too, they may just mate with each other also lol

Back
Top Bottom