Duckweed for poultry- Wolffia globosa or arrhiza

Red Mangrove

Songster
Jan 25, 2023
Does anyone know where to source Wolffia globosa or Wolffia arrhiza? They both grow incredibly easy, have tons of nutrients and are fully edible to both chickens and humans. I'd love to experiment with some as chicken feed
220px-WolffiaArrhiza2.jpg

The popular duckweed sold in aquarium stores is usually another species by the name of Lemna minor that can give kidney stones through high levels of calcium oxalate. So only the Wolffia family of duckweed seems to be safe

Now the question is, where to source either Wolffia species?

Here's a nice article on the subject. It seems no one knows where to find safe duckweed
https://www.eattheweeds.com/duckweed/

Does anyone know where to source Wolffia globosa or Wolffia arrhiza? They both grow incredibly easy, have tons of nutrients and are fully edible to both chickens and humans. I'd love to experiment with some as chicken feed
View attachment 3533929

The popular duckweed sold in aquarium stores is usually another species by the name of Lemna minor that can give kidney stones through high levels of calcium oxalate. So only the Wolffia family of duckweed seems to be safe

Now the question is, where to source either Wolffia species?

Here's a nice article on the subject. It seems no one knows where to find safe duckweed
https://www.eattheweeds.com/duckweed/
I got some from an Etsy seller last fall. I’m trying to build up the amount I have but so far it’s not as prolific as azolla or the larger duckweed. One thing I figured out is that I have to keep the buckets covered with screen or else disturbance from rain water washes the wolfia onto the side of the buckets where it sticks and dries out. I can try and look at my orders and find the seller I bought it from.

Never mind lol I see you found some. Your link just goes to all of eBay though not the actual listing.

I got some from an Etsy seller last fall. I’m trying to build up the amount I have but so far it’s not as prolific as azolla or the larger duckweed.
Azolla is terrifying because it literally forms the neurotoxin BMAA. This touches cells in the central nervous system, misfolds them, and then the zombie cells reproduce more misfolded cells like cancer. Literally causes Alzheimer's at best and prion disease (ie Mad Cow) at worst

So far it seems like Wolffia globosa and arrhiza are the only safe mass-producable aquatic poultry-feed

Azolla is terrifying because it literally forms the neurotoxin BMAA. This touches cells in the central nervous system, misfolds them, and then the zombie cells reproduce more misfolded cells like cancer. Literally causes Alzheimer's at best and prion disease (ie Mad Cow) at worst

So far it seems like Wolffia globosa and arrhiza are the only safe mass-producable aquatic poultry-feed
Do you have a reference that is making you so wary? I found the study thaf suggests further research on azolla but doesn’t seem conclusive enough that I’d stop feeding it.

https://www.academia.edu/10074317/Azolla_BMAA_and_Neurodegenerative_Diseases

Back
Top Bottom