how's this essay #2

A_dele

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2024
is this a good essay? what should I add or change?

ZsiwxWhKUUD28cNv1NzZtdUgSBpd3xpYInDbQ31ZWnSh2LDRiYD4G0FopXwDA-JGVCdQG0Y7WjJgFYwJBdJTlYtI-zXoK6pqZw_f25FMHyOqbBhI2PfvKcyvCvevYAoPUgrzE_05tonI_Qt8xpZMSmk
Ducks

Intro
My family is allergic to many, many things. Dogs, cats, hay, grass, rabbits, rodents. So when my brother or I want a pet, we have to get… creative. I managed to get myself a crested gecko, and we have a family (hypoallergenic) dog. But my animal-loving brain could only hold out for so long. On Halloween, in the haze of my sugar rush, I found it. DUCKS. No allergies, plus they give you eggs, and they're still adorable! But my parents have asked a lot of questions about the pets I’ve wanted, so I wanted to know everything. That’s when I started doing research. Then, we started our writer's workshop ela project, and I decided to put my skills to the test. If we didn't have such a small backyard, I feel like I would be ready for a duck.

Why get ducks?

1. Eggs. ducks produce good eggs that are high in protein and have other nutritional values. They're creamier and richer than chicken eggs and can produce up to 300 eggs per year.
  2. Pest control and yard maintenance. Ducks eat many things, including worms, other garden pests, and weeds. Let them into your garden to have tiny little farmhands. (just keep them away from the tomatoes and lettuce.)
  3. Intelligent. Ducks are very smart and can imprint just hours after hatching. Ducks can learn tricks, play, and learn their surroundings well.
  4. Fertilizer. Many people collect their duck droppings and use them in their gardens. ducks have very healthy diets, so their poop is very good for plants.
  5. Low-cost- ducks are very affordable animals, especially for their benefits. A duckling costs around 5-20 dollars. Because of their taste for bugs and plants, they can forage a large amount of food, cutting food costs down, too.
Why not get ducks?
  1. Ducks are messy. You will have to clean up a lot. There is no way around it.
  2. Ducks grow up. Do not get ducks just because ducklings are cute. They live for 10-15 years and grow incredibly fast.
  3. Ducks can be loud. Be ready to give up a bit of popularity in the neighborhood.
  4. Ducks aren't particularly affectionate
  5. You can have duck egg intolerance

Food

Although ducks eat many things, including kale, cracked corn, oats, rice, birdseed, frozen peas, chopped lettuce, sliced grapes, and more, they can settle for pellets, things they forage, and treats as long as they have the proper amount of niacin. As they age, ducks start to need less niacin and more protein, and laying ducks need extra calcium. According to “For the birds”, a bird care website, “For the first 3 weeks of life, feed a starter diet that is 18-20 percent protein. Make sure the pellets are small enough for ducklings to eat (about 1/8"). From the fourth through the 13th week, switch to a maintenance diet with 14 percent protein. After the 14th week, females should be switched onto a laying diet." Ducks also need grit to help them digest food. Serve this on the side so that they can monitor how much of it they eat. Do the same with calcium if that needs supplementing. If the food you give your ducks doesnt have enough niacin, they can get niacin deficiency, so add brewers yeast or nutitional yeast if you need it.
i0eQZ0EEKVjEvfaZL1IqaKzMom2u7_KkAK6IEeUMOKKMLgrFxzAGMRFJq3nAl5sIP3jNOzUzvwLuZbu0clEXHDzXJ0e32RfmnvroklvzMUJMNiIHPLn1j-P3Wz_W5XlIwqmgu02UFENw2jxbR1i4BHI

Duck food cost
Duck food can cost a lot of money. One way to fix this is to look for a store near you that sells food for livestock or exotics. Just remember to factor in these costs when deciding if you want a duck.

Water
Ducks love water and need it to survive. Ducks need water near their food at all times as it is how they swallow. Keep it far away enough, though, that it can't spill into the food. Change it daily. Ducks also can have ponds. Some people make in-ground ponds for their ducks, but most just use a kiddie pool. Clean it often if you choose to use this, as ducks love to make it filthy, but can then get sick from it. You can also set up sprinklers or splash pads for them to play with or only set out the pool on occasion.

What to name your duck
If you already have an idea, you can skip this section, but here are some ideas:
  • Aflac
  • Cheddar
  • Waddles
  • Jelly bean
  • Snowball
  • Puddles
  • Popcorn
  • Periwinkle
  • Chicken
  • Winston
  • Maple
  • Goldie
  • Duck norris
  • James pond

Is this even legal?
In most states, yes, but you should check your city and state laws. you may not be allowed to or need a permit.

Ducks and drakes
To prevent the females from getting hurt, have a ratio of 5 ducks to 1 drake. (a drake is a male duck) You also still might just want one, as sometimes 2 drakes try to mate with the same duck at the same time. Female ducks can be injured or even die if there are too many drakes there.

A duck’s space
Ducks need a lot of room to thrive. They need a nice coop to sleep in, plus a run. A run is basically a playpen for poultry. It’s fenced off on all sides, including the top, because hawks can swoop and raccoons can climb. It is recommended that you give ducks 10 square feet, but if you want to make sure that they don't fight, give them 20 each.

Sanitization
You should clean a duck’s coop fully each week, and the pool daily. Clean up after ducklings at least twice a day to prevent illness.

Ducks and your other pets
It might not seem like it, but ducks can actually get along well with many animals. Most livestock don't mind them, and dogs often actually get protective of the ducklings. Cats will be fine once the ducks mature. Cats may hurt ducklings if left alone. Most small pets will never need to meet your ducks, so they should be fine.
According to Kalmbach Feeds, “Ducks and chickens can be kept in the same brooder and in the same chicken coop. Expect your ducks to grow very fast – faster than you chicks. This is okay. They can still be kept together but your ducks may also be ready to move to the coop a little sooner than the chicks. The difference in growth may also require that you have a larger brooder with more temperature zones – larger ducks can move to the cooler zones while smaller chicks can still get to the warmer zones." The same goes for geese. but, when fully grown, only female ducks can safely be kept with chickens - if a male duck is kept with chickens, he may attempt to mate with the chickens, which could harm or even kill them.
bvxZAqvF__JBdhxWaz9Fw9YE_zvttTqG8KPK-5Y6k1leaYZ2nVamNph1ciw6kI_Jn1qf9P0fBr4TTcYky8yXSnyoG3IjwejS66g5DrZbtwTGYicwxZsVk0sepRCJYoL9yTdMRABV3h0mmkgXPeysvHA

Ducklings
As babies, ducks need lots of care. You have to have the proper setup or they could die.
They need a brooder, which is basically a container to hold them and all they need. ideas for brooders are:
-aquarium(must be big!)
-large hamster cage or guinea pig cage (make it safe for their feet!)
-store-bought one
-tall kiddie pool

In a brooder, ducks need:
-water
-food
-bedding (to prevent straddle leg)
-toy or 2
-heater

Make sure your ducklings are getting enough niacin by buying special duckling food, and that the feed is unmedicated. Also, pay attention to their protein. Too much can hurt them. Ducklings can have a starter for 3 weeks and then grow from 4-18 weeks old.The difference is protein. This is crucial because baby ducks grow incredibly fast and need less and less protein throughout their lives. You can also buy starter/grower and add fish meal or brewers yeast to up the protein and niacin. At 16 weeks, start easing them into their normal diet.

At around 7-9 weeks, or whenever they are fully feathered, they can finally leave the brooder and go to the coop. Make sure to train them to roost, as the earlier you do it, the more likely they are to, and that makes life much easier.

When your duck starts laying
When a duck lays, they need a new diet, with more calcium. ease them into it to make sure that they eat. In addition, if you want more eggs in winter, put in an artificial light in the coop, but only in those months. Make sure that they aren't too stressed and have enough room.
Ducks and the great outdoors
Believe it or not, ducks can be taken on walks. Many sites actually sell duck leashes that attach to harnesses or diapers. A lot of people enjoy taking their ducks to ponds to play with them. Just make sure to keep an eye on them and keep them away from harm.
Ducks and the great indoors
Ducks should be outdoor pets. Keeping them inside may please you, but to a duck, it's not a good life. But, ducks can be let inside on occasion. Some people also bring them inside at night to keep them safe. To keep ducks inside, you have 2 options: only let them be in some areas and clean after them, or diaper them. Diapering catches poop in a cloth to keep it from going everywhere. If your duck is inside during the day, then you should change it every few hours.

(Non-coop) Shopping list

Kalmbach Feeds 18% All Natural Duck and Goose Feed Mini Pellet, 50 lb, Opens in a new tab

Nest Box Pads for Chicken Nesting Boxes - 13 x 13 Pads Made in USA from Sustainably Sourced Aspen Excelsior (5 Pack), Opens in a new tab

VIVEKATT Chicken Diaper, Pet Diaper for Chook Duck Goose, Washable Pet Diapers Bow Tie Duck Diapers Chicken Diaper for Poultry, 1 Count (Pack of 1), Opens in a new tab

Set of 2 Pieces Pet Chicken Diapers Duck Diapers with Duck Outside Walking Harness Leash Washable Pet Diapers with Bow Tie Adjustable Training Traction Rope for Poultry Chicken Goose Hen, Opens in a new tab

Chicken Swing Toys and Chicken Toys Xylophone, 2pcs Chicken Toys for Poultry Run Rooster Hens Chicks Pet Parrots Macaw Entertainment Stress Relief for Birds, Opens in a new tab

carefresh 99% Dust-Free White Natural Paper Small Pet Bedding with Odor Control, 10L, White, Opens in a new tab

Tikaton Reptile Heat Pad - Adjustable Temperature Under Tank Heater for 10-20gal/30-40gal Tank, Terrarium Heat Mat for Turtle/Snake/Lizard/Frog/Spider/Plant Box, Opens in a new tab

2 Pack Feed Trough and Waterer Bucket with Clips, for Goat Chicken Duck Sheeple Dog Piglets Deer Goose, Turkeys, Goat Feeder Supplies, 4.5 Quart (Appearance Patent Product), Opens in a new tab

Manna Pro Duck Starter Grower | Duck Food, Duck Pellets, Chick Feed | 8 Pounds, Opens in a new tab

Bs0R3hz_oNc3huHhc52QGD4WmPLs-d9PQrhqfzS72QIKqzc0NHsxiVjYShKmrsb-hPxSaAI0w9LwYZOyAxUEV0sJmbl81aqGawRtiLBVmZv5nS4GTEJLfjDDOtlQub3EHifJp2TWN_8QnZbZGW3jmgU
Bonaweite Pet Cole Duck Outside Walking Harness Leash, Adjustable Outdoor Training Traction Rope for Chicken Goose Hen -13.99

Manna Pro Poultry Grit with Probiotics | Insoluble Crushed Granite | 5 LB (Packaging May Vary) (Pack of 2), Opens in a new tab

PJZP Dog Pool Puppy Foldable Dog Pool pet Pool Dog Swimming Pool Portable Suitable for Indoor and Outdoor use (32x8in), Opens in a new tab

In total, it is $223.21. That’s without layer feed when they start that, so make sure you have a full wallet before you get ducks.

The coop and run

There are a lot of things to consider in a coop and run.

• The amount of ducks
  • The size of your yard
  • The size of your ducks
We already talked about the amount of space for ducks, so just use this:

Amount of ducks X 20 = amount of square feet needed in your coop or run.

There are a few options for a coop and run-

I would recommend #3 because it is only a bit more and is less flimsy than #2 and less work than both, as the run is already somewhat predator-proof. It holds 2 ducks pretty well. But, all mass-produced coops could be of better quality. #3 had reports of being flimsy and not predator-proof enough, as well as missing parts. If you want to avoid re-buying, there are 2 options: spend thousands of dollars on a custom one, or spend $20 on a plan, buy materials, and make it yourself. I found this one perfect for 2 ducks, but there are so many you can find any. If you need a run, this is to build it, and this is store-bought. Keep in mind that even if you buy it, to keep it safe from predators you will have to add more things. Please read this or something along the lines of it. Coops can cost anywhere between 200-2000 dollars.

So, that's pretty much everything about ducks I can think of. If you have more questions, I would recommend going to backyardchickens.com. They are super helpful.

Thank you for reading. Happy duck keeping!

Bibliography

What’s the Right Ratio of Males to Females for Ducks and Geese? - My Pet Chicken. https://www.mypetchicken.com/blogs/...f you plan to keep,a break from amorous males. Accessed 22 Feb. 2024.

ZoteroBib: Fast, Free Bibliography Generator - MLA, APA, Chicago, Harvard Citations. https://zbib.org/. Accessed 8 Jan. 2024.

i dont see an essay
sorry! i accidently submitted it before pasting. i edited it, but here:
ZsiwxWhKUUD28cNv1NzZtdUgSBpd3xpYInDbQ31ZWnSh2LDRiYD4G0FopXwDA-JGVCdQG0Y7WjJgFYwJBdJTlYtI-zXoK6pqZw_f25FMHyOqbBhI2PfvKcyvCvevYAoPUgrzE_05tonI_Qt8xpZMSmk
Ducks
Intro
My family is allergic to many, many things. Dogs, cats, hay, grass, rabbits, rodents. So when my brother or I want a pet, we have to get… creative. I managed to get myself a crested gecko, and we have a family (hypoallergenic) dog. But my animal-loving brain could only hold out for so long. On Halloween, in the haze of my sugar rush, I found it. DUCKS. No allergies, plus they give you eggs, and they're still adorable! But my parents have asked a lot of questions about the pets I’ve wanted, so I wanted to know everything. That’s when I started doing research. Then, we started our writer's workshop ela project, and I decided to put my skills to the test. If we didn't have such a small backyard, I feel like I would be ready for a duck.

Why get ducks?

1. Eggs. ducks produce good eggs that are high in protein and have other nutritional values. They're creamier and richer than chicken eggs and can produce up to 300 eggs per year.
  2. Pest control and yard maintenance. Ducks eat many things, including worms, other garden pests, and weeds. Let them into your garden to have tiny little farmhands. (just keep them away from the tomatoes and lettuce.)
  3. Intelligent. Ducks are very smart and can imprint just hours after hatching. Ducks can learn tricks, play, and learn their surroundings well.
  4. Fertilizer. Many people collect their duck droppings and use them in their gardens. ducks have very healthy diets, so their poop is very good for plants.
  5. Low-cost- ducks are very affordable animals, especially for their benefits. A duckling costs around 5-20 dollars. Because of their taste for bugs and plants, they can forage a large amount of food, cutting food costs down, too.
Why not get ducks?
  1. Ducks are messy. You will have to clean up a lot. There is no way around it.
  2. Ducks grow up. Do not get ducks just because ducklings are cute. They live for 10-15 years and grow incredibly fast.
  3. Ducks can be loud. Be ready to give up a bit of popularity in the neighborhood.
  4. Ducks aren't particularly affectionate
  5. You can have duck egg intolerance

Food

Although ducks eat many things, including kale, cracked corn, oats, rice, birdseed, frozen peas, chopped lettuce, sliced grapes, and more, they can settle for pellets, things they forage, and treats as long as they have the proper amount of niacin. As they age, ducks start to need less niacin and more protein, and laying ducks need extra calcium. According to “For the birds”, a bird care website, “For the first 3 weeks of life, feed a starter diet that is 18-20 percent protein. Make sure the pellets are small enough for ducklings to eat (about 1/8"). From the fourth through the 13th week, switch to a maintenance diet with 14 percent protein. After the 14th week, females should be switched onto a laying diet." Ducks also need grit to help them digest food. Serve this on the side so that they can monitor how much of it they eat. Do the same with calcium if that needs supplementing. If the food you give your ducks doesnt have enough niacin, they can get niacin deficiency, so add brewers yeast or nutitional yeast if you need it.
i0eQZ0EEKVjEvfaZL1IqaKzMom2u7_KkAK6IEeUMOKKMLgrFxzAGMRFJq3nAl5sIP3jNOzUzvwLuZbu0clEXHDzXJ0e32RfmnvroklvzMUJMNiIHPLn1j-P3Wz_W5XlIwqmgu02UFENw2jxbR1i4BHI

Duck food cost
Duck food can cost a lot of money. One way to fix this is to look for a store near you that sells food for livestock or exotics. Just remember to factor in these costs when deciding if you want a duck.

Water
Ducks love water and need it to survive. Ducks need water near their food at all times as it is how they swallow. Keep it far away enough, though, that it can't spill into the food. Change it daily. Ducks also can have ponds. Some people make in-ground ponds for their ducks, but most just use a kiddie pool. Clean it often if you choose to use this, as ducks love to make it filthy, but can then get sick from it. You can also set up sprinklers or splash pads for them to play with or only set out the pool on occasion.

What to name your duck
If you already have an idea, you can skip this section, but here are some ideas:
  • Aflac
  • Cheddar
  • Waddles
  • Jelly bean
  • Snowball
  • Puddles
  • Popcorn
  • Periwinkle
  • Chicken
  • Winston
  • Maple
  • Goldie
  • Duck norris
  • James pond

Is this even legal?
In most states, yes, but you should check your city and state laws. you may not be allowed to or need a permit.

Ducks and drakes
To prevent the females from getting hurt, have a ratio of 5 ducks to 1 drake. (a drake is a male duck) You also still might just want one, as sometimes 2 drakes try to mate with the same duck at the same time. Female ducks can be injured or even die if there are too many drakes there.

A duck’s space
Ducks need a lot of room to thrive. They need a nice coop to sleep in, plus a run. A run is basically a playpen for poultry. It’s fenced off on all sides, including the top, because hawks can swoop and raccoons can climb. It is recommended that you give ducks 10 square feet, but if you want to make sure that they don't fight, give them 20 each.

Sanitization
You should clean a duck’s coop fully each week, and the pool daily. Clean up after ducklings at least twice a day to prevent illness.

It might not seem like it, but ducks can actually get along well with many animals. Most livestock don't mind them, and dogs often actually get protective of the ducklings. Cats will be fine once the ducks mature. Cats may hurt ducklings if left alone. Most small pets will never need to meet your ducks, so they should be fine.
According to Kalmbach Feeds, “Ducks and chickens can be kept in the same brooder and in the same chicken coop. Expect your ducks to grow very fast – faster than you chicks. This is okay. They can still be kept together but your ducks may also be ready to move to the coop a little sooner than the chicks. The difference in growth may also require that you have a larger brooder with more temperature zones – larger ducks can move to the cooler zones while smaller chicks can still get to the warmer zones." The same goes for geese. but, when fully grown, only female ducks can safely be kept with chickens - if a male duck is kept with chickens, he may attempt to mate with the chickens, which could harm or even kill them.
bvxZAqvF__JBdhxWaz9Fw9YE_zvttTqG8KPK-5Y6k1leaYZ2nVamNph1ciw6kI_Jn1qf9P0fBr4TTcYky8yXSnyoG3IjwejS66g5DrZbtwTGYicwxZsVk0sepRCJYoL9yTdMRABV3h0mmkgXPeysvHA

Ducklings
As babies, ducks need lots of care. You have to have the proper setup or they could die.
They need a brooder, which is basically a container to hold them and all they need. ideas for brooders are:
-aquarium(must be big!)
-large hamster cage or guinea pig cage (make it safe for their feet!)
-store-bought one
-tall kiddie pool

-water
-food
-bedding (to prevent straddle leg)
-toy or 2
-heater

Make sure your ducklings are getting enough niacin by buying special duckling food, and that the feed is unmedicated. Also, pay attention to their protein. Too much can hurt them. Ducklings can have a starter for 3 weeks and then grow from 4-18 weeks old.The difference is protein. This is crucial because baby ducks grow incredibly fast and need less and less protein throughout their lives. You can also buy starter/grower and add fish meal or brewers yeast to up the protein and niacin. At 16 weeks, start easing them into their normal diet.

At around 7-9 weeks, or whenever they are fully feathered, they can finally leave the brooder and go to the coop. Make sure to train them to roost, as the earlier you do it, the more likely they are to, and that makes life much easier.

When a duck lays, they need a new diet, with more calcium. ease them into it to make sure that they eat. In addition, if you want more eggs in winter, put in an artificial light in the coop, but only in those months. Make sure that they aren't too stressed and have enough room.
Believe it or not, ducks can be taken on walks. Many sites actually sell duck leashes that attach to harnesses or diapers. A lot of people enjoy taking their ducks to ponds to play with them. Just make sure to keep an eye on them and keep them away from harm.
Ducks and the great indoors
Ducks should be outdoor pets. Keeping them inside may please you, but to a duck, it's not a good life. But, ducks can be let inside on occasion. Some people also bring them inside at night to keep them safe. To keep ducks inside, you have 2 options: only let them be in some areas and clean after them, or diaper them. Diapering catches poop in a cloth to keep it from going everywhere. If your duck is inside during the day, then you should change it every few hours.

(Non-coop) Shopping list

Kalmbach Feeds 18% All Natural Duck and Goose Feed Mini Pellet, 50 lb, Opens in a new tab

Nest Box Pads for Chicken Nesting Boxes - 13 x 13 Pads Made in USA from Sustainably Sourced Aspen Excelsior (5 Pack), Opens in a new tab

VIVEKATT Chicken Diaper, Pet Diaper for Chook Duck Goose, Washable Pet Diapers Bow Tie Duck Diapers Chicken Diaper for Poultry, 1 Count (Pack of 1), Opens in a new tab

Set of 2 Pieces Pet Chicken Diapers Duck Diapers with Duck Outside Walking Harness Leash Washable Pet Diapers with Bow Tie Adjustable Training Traction Rope for Poultry Chicken Goose Hen, Opens in a new tab

Chicken Swing Toys and Chicken Toys Xylophone, 2pcs Chicken Toys for Poultry Run Rooster Hens Chicks Pet Parrots Macaw Entertainment Stress Relief for Birds, Opens in a new tab

carefresh 99% Dust-Free White Natural Paper Small Pet Bedding with Odor Control, 10L, White, Opens in a new tab

Tikaton Reptile Heat Pad - Adjustable Temperature Under Tank Heater for 10-20gal/30-40gal Tank, Terrarium Heat Mat for Turtle/Snake/Lizard/Frog/Spider/Plant Box, Opens in a new tab

2 Pack Feed Trough and Waterer Bucket with Clips, for Goat Chicken Duck Sheeple Dog Piglets Deer Goose, Turkeys, Goat Feeder Supplies, 4.5 Quart (Appearance Patent Product), Opens in a new tab

Manna Pro Duck Starter Grower | Duck Food, Duck Pellets, Chick Feed | 8 Pounds, Opens in a new tab

Bs0R3hz_oNc3huHhc52QGD4WmPLs-d9PQrhqfzS72QIKqzc0NHsxiVjYShKmrsb-hPxSaAI0w9LwYZOyAxUEV0sJmbl81aqGawRtiLBVmZv5nS4GTEJLfjDDOtlQub3EHifJp2TWN_8QnZbZGW3jmgU
Bonaweite Pet Cole Duck Outside Walking Harness Leash, Adjustable Outdoor Training Traction Rope for Chicken Goose Hen -13.99

Manna Pro Poultry Grit with Probiotics | Insoluble Crushed Granite | 5 LB (Packaging May Vary) (Pack of 2), Opens in a new tab

PJZP Dog Pool Puppy Foldable Dog Pool pet Pool Dog Swimming Pool Portable Suitable for Indoor and Outdoor use (32x8in), Opens in a new tab

In total, it is $223.21. That’s without layer feed when they start that, so make sure you have a full wallet before you get ducks.

The coop and run

There are a lot of things to consider in a coop and run.

• The amount of ducks
  • The size of your yard
  • The size of your ducks
We already talked about the amount of space for ducks, so just use this:

Amount of ducks X 20 = amount of square feet needed in your coop or run.

There are a few options for a coop and run-

I would recommend #3 because it is only a bit more and is less flimsy than #2 and less work than both, as the run is already somewhat predator-proof. It holds 2 ducks pretty well. But, all mass-produced coops could be of better quality. #3 had reports of being flimsy and not predator-proof enough, as well as missing parts. If you want to avoid re-buying, there are 2 options: spend thousands of dollars on a custom one, or spend $20 on a plan, buy materials, and make it yourself. I found this one perfect for 2 ducks, but there are so many you can find any. If you need a run, this is to build it, and this is store-bought. Keep in mind that even if you buy it, to keep it safe from predators you will have to add more things. Please read this or something along the lines of it. Coops can cost anywhere between 200-2000 dollars.

So, that's pretty much everything about ducks I can think of. If you have more questions, I would recommend going to backyardchickens.com. They are super helpful.

Thank you for reading. Happy duck keeping!

Bibliography

What’s the Right Ratio of Males to Females for Ducks and Geese? - My Pet Chicken. https://www.mypetchicken.com/blogs/...f you plan to keep,a break from amorous males. Accessed 22 Feb. 2024.

ZoteroBib: Fast, Free Bibliography Generator - MLA, APA, Chicago, Harvard Citations. https://zbib.org/. Accessed 8 Jan. 2024.

What's this for? Some pictures don't work and you have some headings that need to be bolded. Also what's the 'shopping list' for?
the headings being bolded didnt come through. the shopping list is what you might need. I'm just looking for if I need to write any more.

My mom is incredibly allergic to ducks. Birds are NOT at all hypoallergenic. Arguably they can be worse.
Is it their dust/dander like mammals?
the headings being bolded didnt come through. the shopping list is what you might need. I'm just looking for if I need to write any more.
I'd have personally gone for a MUCH more affordable feed personally, or done multiple options. What's the essay for though?

1. Intelligent. Ducks are very smart and can imprint just hours after hatching. Ducks can learn tricks, play, and learn their surroundings well.
Mine are actually incredibly uninteligent. They can't even find their own coop door... :th
  1. Fertilizer. Many people collect their duck droppings and use them in their gardens. ducks have very healthy diets, so their poop is very good for plants.
This is true because unlike chicken droppings that require prior composting to prevent burning the plants, duck poop can be added directly to the soil.
  1. Low-cost- ducks are very affordable animals, especially for their benefits. A duckling costs around 5-20 dollars. Because of their taste for bugs and plants, they can forage a large amount of food, cutting food costs down, too.
They are 100% NOT at all cheap. They will run up your water bill because they constantly need fresh water and a lot of it in order to swim. They frequently need fresh bedding because they will ruin it quickly. Feed is not very cheap and you can't expect them to live entirely off of foraging. They NEED feed. Just because the animals themselves are cheap doesn't mean that care is. In just the start you will spend a LOT. Ducklings are horribly messy and need fresh bedding every single day.

A brooder plate will cost about $50 dollars. A 25 lb bag of feed is atleast $25. Bedding can range from $7 (for pine shavings that don't work at all with ducks) to $90 for one bag and they go through it very quickly. Niacin supplement is $5-$30. Feeder and waterer adds up to at least $30. Bare minimum pond would be a kiddie pool at $12 and a quality pond will be $150. That doesn't even account for the water billing of them. A decent coop can be $500 and a large one may surpass one thousand. Adult feed might reach $30 per bag. Fencing might be $80 for bare minimum quality and a secure run can reach almost $2000. An adult feeder may be $80. Theres just so much that goes into the cost of duck keeping and in one year you'll have spent more than you had ever thought.
  1. They live for 10-15 years and grow incredibly fast.
Well... thats a stretch.
  1. Ducks aren't particularly affectionate
Can if you raise them right :idunno
or only set out the pool on occasion.
Absolutely not. They need the pool at all times.
Ducks and drakes
A female duck is called a hen, not just a duck. A first time owner probably should begin with only females.
Sanitization
Cons of small kiddie pools are that you have to clean them daily while a large in ground pond needs much less frequent cleanings.
No. Dogs with herding instinct may be fine with them but dogs with a prey drive WILL kill them and only for the hell of it. Cats are a different story though. They may just ignore them or they may attack.

-toy or 2
Promise they don't... they'll just ignore it :rolleyes:
Ducks do not roost. Only Muscovys.
When a duck lays, they need a new diet, with more calcium. ease them into it to make sure that they eat.
No, they need to be on calcium diet BEFORE they start laying.
In addition, if you want more eggs in winter, put in an artificial light in the coop, but only in those months. Make sure that they aren't too stressed and have enough room.
Coop lights are not okay. They need quality sleep and it can interrupt their circadian rhythm and in turn, their health.
Believe it or not, ducks can be taken on walks. Many sites actually sell duck leashes that attach to harnesses or diapers.
They hate them. Waste of money. Ducks are not dogs.
A lot of people enjoy taking their ducks to ponds to play with them. Just make sure to keep an eye on them and keep them away from harm.
Don't take your ducks to just some random pond. So many things can go so wrong.
They do not perch or roost.
Paper bedding + ducks is a awful idea.
They need a proper brooder plate.
No.
In total, it is $223.21.
Thats a joke. It is NOT that cheap!!
This is a great option for a small number of ducks. Its low to the ground without roosting, exactly as a duck needs. Great job finding this!
  • A coop with a small run that connects to a bigger one for times they need to stay in a smaller space
    PKEujTAebu2RW0spQuLYspzmC932Um0VOYiI1DmN-POINSLbvPiVdOI_n5MOXP2EGNhtruTbp1ymTDaVTb4SWaDUJ17f-NLYgQJb5NDjC7jqXZrdfl_cgg45YqQ6X-j23x0uicUJplyjtEVkZe1Bw1I
  • View attachment 3759347
This can only be used by chickens. Ducks cant even climb that ramp. And that "run" is a joke... that won't work for even one bird.
I would recommend #3 because it is only a bit more and is less flimsy than #2 and less work than both, as the run is already somewhat predator-proof.
No. They can't even use it lol. Runs will need a skirt in order to be predator proof. Remember, they can dig!
It holds 2 ducks pretty well.
Not even one!!
Coops can cost anywhere between 200-2000 dollars.
And it turns out to be worth it to spend on the higher end, I promise.
Bibliography

What’s the Right Ratio of Males to Females for Ducks and Geese? - My Pet Chicken. https://www.mypetchicken.com/blogs/faqs/whats-the-right-ratio-of-males-to-females-for-ducks-and-geese#:~:text=If you plan to keep,a break from amorous males. Accessed 22 Feb. 2024.

Great job citing your sources!

They're birds, so not exactly, but keeping them indoors even just to raise them can irritate even those without allergies.
Yeah, we wore masks with the indoor chicks because of how dusty it got, even with cleaning multiple times a week. I kept my ducks outdoors because of their water usage, but even when they came inside for a few hours after we lost power to their bulb, they started getting dust places.

I've just never heard of people legitimately being allergic to birds, it's intriguing

Back
Top Bottom