How important is a pond for ducks

duckdog

Chirping
Jun 8, 2022
How important is it for a ducks to have a solid pond to use? I ask because until yesterday the info I came across was essentially that a kiddie pool is good enough for a few ducks. But I came across a video in which the person was talking about mistakes they made with ducks. They mentioned that even for a few ducks they really need enough water space, to dive some and really spend sufficient time in water. What has been your experience? And do you have any idea of a measure need per duck? Thank you

Except for a small hard-rubber stock tank (about 5 gallons), my runner ducks have only had kiddie pools over the last six or seven years, and they are fine. I've had as many as 10 ducks with a single kiddie pool (emptied and cleaned regularly).

They seem to favor the extra depth of the little stock tank when they want to fully bathe. But for everyday playing around, drinking and mating, the kiddie pool works well.

Two years ago, I repurposed an old clawfoot bathtub. I built a wide entry ramp for the ducks, made a platform across one end of the tub, and added a small step so they could get to the platform once they were swimming and diving. They HATE it! No one plays there. If I lift them up and put them in the water, they flail their tiny wings, eager to get out as fast as possible.

This year, I have some auction-bought duck decoys that I'm going to float in the tub, just so it looks like it serves a purpose!

A pond is nice... but

A kiddie swimming pool up on a pallet works just fine. Puddle ducks, the kind we keep as pets - that don't dive for their food (those are diving ducks), actually prefer shallow water they can stand up in but is deep enough to submerge for bathing .. which is why they are called puddle ducks.

Just as we wanted to retire in the country so our cats wouldn't need to spend their lives indoors, yours (and my) philosophy of pet lifestyles could be a part of the equation. Are you country minded and think in free ranging terms? There're some considerations for a larger natural pond. Many ducks will take to a large pond with passion practicing long 50' dives and flying from 1 side to the other. Much of their day would be spent floating facing the bank while foraging vigorously with their bills.

Having that stated, there's many risks involved with the great outdoors. Ducks that have a safe fenced or enclosed area with a kiddie pool thrive with their social happenings with other ducks, poultry, pets, and people. The kiddie pool would be as healthy and enjoyable as taking a kid to the city splash pad in the summer.
20240209_163817.jpg

There's also the in between of putting in a backyard pond, sorta like a koi pond, that ducks could dive in, and chase minnows and grass shrimp. Anyone who cares enough to ask and plan their ducks' habitat will have content ducks :)

Back
Top Bottom