How important is a pond for ducks

duckdog

Chirping
Jun 8, 2022
How important is it for a ducks to have a solid pond to use? I ask because until yesterday the info I came across was essentially that a kiddie pool is good enough for a few ducks. But I came across a video in which the person was talking about mistakes they made with ducks. They mentioned that even for a few ducks they really need enough water space, to dive some and really spend sufficient time in water. What has been your experience? And do you have any idea of a measure need per duck? Thank you

A kiddie pool is good enough for a few ducks, but you will be emptying it out rather frequently. I bought a 17 gallon rubber tub from TSC, that works just as well (though rather small) and is much more durable. Recently I dug them out a pond, which they love. It's about 3 ft by 4 ft and is 3 ft deep. But I live in an area with lots of clay soil so it holds water to some degree. So the bottom line is, a kiddie pool is fine, they will just be happier with something bigger. Hope this helps!

My 20 waterfowl have 2 pools a large kiddy pool that my dh put and drain in so I don't have to use a bucket to empty it and a smaller pool down close to the house I also have a 50 gallon stock tank not in use right now. My birds have never had an in-ground pond but they love their pools I can usually find at least 6 at one time swimming and diving in the big one sometimes they get so carried away they will all jump out at once then get right back inside. If we had to wait till we got a pond dug or moved where we had a pond most of us wouldn't have waterfowl. they even have the wheel barrow pool that they love. IMG_2744.jpeg IMG_2740.jpeg IMG_2737.jpeg

All I can say is my 20 waterfowl have 2 pools a large kiddy pool that my dh put and drain in so I don't have to use a bucket to empty it and a smaller pool down close to the house I also have a 50 gallon tank not in use right now. My birds have never had an in-ground pond but they love their pools I can usually find at least 6 at one time swimming and diving in the big one sometimes they get so carried away they will all jump out at once then get right back inside. If we had to wait till we got a pond dug or moved where we had a pond most of us wouldn't have waterfowl. they even have the wheel barrow pool that they love. View attachment 3798580View attachment 3798581View attachment 3798582
We must have posted at the exact same time!

How important is it for a ducks to have a solid pond to use? I ask because until yesterday the info I came across was essentially that a kiddie pool is good enough for a few ducks. But I came across a video in which the person was talking about mistakes they made with ducks. They mentioned that even for a few ducks they really need enough water space, to dive some and really spend sufficient time in water. What has been your experience? And do you have any idea of a measure need per duck? Thank you
A kiddie pool that you refill daily is the minimum. I have a pond and still have a kiddie pool in another part of the yard so they always have water close by. Pond is round, 8’ wide x 24” deep with an island in the middle …

Back
Top Bottom