Dud eggs?

Pele

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
Boise
Hi all,

I set my shipment of eggs about 8 days ago, and I have never before incubated, so I'm on pins and needles about them!

I candled at day 7, and was very ready to see either veins, a dark spot, rings, or even a clear egg.... I thought I was ready for anything!

However, what I got was an entire batch of eggs that were dark in a very similar manner to how eggs should look at day 18.

Ack!! No matter how many dud pictures I look at, I just cannot find anything that matches my scenario.

Is it possible that my candler is just too low powered and I'm not seeing formations that I should be?

Is it possible to get duds that just go 'lights out' dark? So confused!

Hi all,

I set my shipment of eggs about 8 days ago, and I have never before incubated, so I'm on pins and needles about them!

I candled at day 7, and was very ready to see either veins, a dark spot, rings, or even a clear egg.... I thought I was ready for anything!

However, what I got was an entire batch of eggs that were dark in a very similar manner to how eggs should look at day 18.

Ack!! No matter how many dud pictures I look at, I just cannot find anything that matches my scenario.

Is it possible that my candler is just too low powered and I'm not seeing formations that I should be?

Is it possible to get duds that just go 'lights out' dark? So confused!
Hi there, what type of eggs are they? Dark ones are a nightmare to see anything!

Hi I like to know what to look for too ! My eggs are medium brown, I cannot see veins, the yolks looks dark red, I cannot find eyes or movement. I searched high and low and theres no match like mine ! I guess I just leave them alone to hatch ( Jan 28th)

Hi
frow.gif

Here is a link to some candling pics here on BYC
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/candling-pics-progression-through-incubation-of-chicken-eggs
I use a super bright LED flashlight and rechargeable batteries. Right before they go dead I have a real hard time seeing into the egg. Once I put in some good batteries then I can see the embryos. It might be you are using a light that isn't strong enough. If the shell is blue or dark brown it can really diffuse the light and make it look solid. Even with my bright 150 lumens light I can't see into the Welsummer eggs. All I see is a solid looking mass and this means to me that it is good. If the light lights up the whole egg from tip to tip on day 10 it is a clear egg in my opinion. If it lights up just a little at the pointed tip or you see an air sac on the fat end I leave it in till hatch day
hugs.gif
love.gif

Hi, how far are you into the hatch? Have you looked at the candling pictures on the learning page? Im not sure about the red yolks. Hopefully a more experianced person will pipe up here :/ im on my first hatch too. Mine are due on the 27th jan! I candled mine tonight i could see the eyes and lots of veins and movement so thats what you should be seeing.. Hope someone helps you..:)

Oh! That's good to hear that a weak light source will produce a solid mass!

I have combed the internet for egg candling pics, and even the learning center. But I guess the fatal flaw is that nobody who knows what their doing would ever try to post pics of eggs being candled with an insufficient lightsource. I'm using your everyday average joe flashlight, and I'm starting to be convinced that it's not enough.

I'm hoping and praying that this is the problem, so that I don't have to assume that my entire hatch is gone. I did buy a 100 lumen LED flashlight today, and I'll put a cardboard cover on it with a hole.

These are cream-colored eggs, so I'm pretty sure this is my fault, not theirs :p

Hi, how far are you into the hatch? Have you looked at the candling pictures on the learning page? Im not sure about the red yolks. Hopefully a more experianced person will pipe up here
hmm.png
im on my first hatch too. Mine are due on the 27th jan! I candled mine tonight i could see the eyes and lots of veins and movement so thats what you should be seeing.. Hope someone helps you..
smile.png

I set eggs on Jan 7th so this will be my10th day candling. I did throw away one egg that has blood ring, clearly I can see that. I threw away three eggs not viable. now I have 6 eggs left that is dark mass. I dont have a better light bulb to look at . but will leave them alone until hatching. I will try my luck. also I just now set second set of eggs in another incubator I borrowed from a friend. due date Feb 7th .

omg omg omg!!!
wee.gif

I candled with my more powerful flashlight last night, and while I couldn't see inside the entire batch, I did have two embryos wiggle around as if to say "Hey! turn that light out!"

SO excited, as I had almost given up on the entire hatch. Zomg! Thank you for your advice everyone!

Back
Top Bottom