due to hatch jan 28th

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Loretta212, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    so i have some duck eggs that were given to me and i have 4 of them growing very nicely (you can see moevment in the eggs very cool ) i am wondering what i need to get them for food after they hatch . I have hatched chickens and gave them medicated chick feed what do ducks need?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I'm told that feed with amprolium is okay for ducklings as far as not being toxic to them.

At the same time, chick feed does not have the optimal amount of niacin for ducklings, and some ducklings suffer serious nerve damage if they don't get enough niacin.

Niacin is in brewer's yeast, niacin capsules, and invertebrates (bugs, worms, etc.)

There is waterfowl starter feed, but it's not easily available for everybody.

3. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    Quote:Thank you [​IMG] i wanted to start looking around now too make sure i could find wha i needed

4. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    I raise ducklings on Purina Flock Raiser (20% protein), and add niacin to their water. Generic "human" niacin, a 500mg capsule emptied into a 5 gal bucket of water.

The mess your "yucklings" will make is more of an issue than feeding, in my opinion. Might want to add pine shavings to your shopping list [​IMG]

5. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    Just plain old Chick Starter will be fine....the NON-MEDICATED. My three WH girls were on it since they were three days old and have grown into beautiful and healthy ducks who are now almost four months old. Moved them from starter at 12 weeks to Crumble. Don't forget chopped lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli for snacks a few times a week. They love those greens especially.

6. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:actually medicated starter is ok for waterfowl now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by