due to hatch jan 28th

Loretta212

Songster
8 Years
Sep 27, 2011
Meriden ct
so i have some duck eggs that were given to me and i have 4 of them growing very nicely (you can see moevment in the eggs very cool ) i am wondering what i need to get them for food after they hatch . I have hatched chickens and gave them medicated chick feed what do ducks need?

I'm told that feed with amprolium is okay for ducklings as far as not being toxic to them.

At the same time, chick feed does not have the optimal amount of niacin for ducklings, and some ducklings suffer serious nerve damage if they don't get enough niacin.

Niacin is in brewer's yeast, niacin capsules, and invertebrates (bugs, worms, etc.)

There is waterfowl starter feed, but it's not easily available for everybody.

Quote:
Thank you
smile.png
i wanted to start looking around now too make sure i could find wha i needed

I raise ducklings on Purina Flock Raiser (20% protein), and add niacin to their water. Generic "human" niacin, a 500mg capsule emptied into a 5 gal bucket of water.

The mess your "yucklings" will make is more of an issue than feeding, in my opinion. Might want to add pine shavings to your shopping list
wink.png

Just plain old Chick Starter will be fine....the NON-MEDICATED. My three WH girls were on it since they were three days old and have grown into beautiful and healthy ducks who are now almost four months old. Moved them from starter at 12 weeks to Crumble. Don't forget chopped lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli for snacks a few times a week. They love those greens especially.

Back
Top Bottom