Dull comb - broody

Bcmacias

Chirping
Jul 24, 2020
We have an Asian Black hen, 10 months old. She went broody in February and I’m still trying to break her. We have a small flock of 4 in our backyard, we got them when they were a week old, so we’re going through the broodiness for the first time. When I let them out in the morning I block access to the egg box otherwise she would go sit in there. At night she goes in the egg box despite me putting her on the roost. She hasn’t laid an egg since February and I’ve noticed her comb is not looking well. Her feathers seem fine, she acts fine during the day (likes
B2349FB9-533C-4636-9A07-A81E36D32589.jpeg
to hang around the coop hoping to go sit in the egg box), but she will take dust baths and eat, and roam around with frequent visits to the coop to see if it’s open. I make sure she poops too. I noticed she shakes her head and feathers more than the rest of the chickens. The bottoms of her feet are pretty yellow now (I’ve read that’s the pigment going back into their bodies since they aren’t making it for the yolk). So, is she sick? The other 3 look very healthy with bright red combs. Maybe it’s her breed? I just don’t want to miss anything. Thanks!

The dullness of her comb is very likely a result of hormone changes during her broodiness. Build or get a wire bottomed cage, and restrict her to that until her broodiness breaks. 3 months of broodiness has somewhat debilitated her.

Back
Top Bottom