dumb Freedom Rangers

HillCountryMomma

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Hubby and I moved all the Rangers to the small pasture behind my garden on Sat.

The Rangers are now free to range!

Except the stupid birds are spending more time sitting in the tractor looking stupid than anything else. Grr!!

A few will venture out, get lost in the weeds for a bit, then scurry back to the tractor.

I found one watching a fire ant hill in total fascination as the ants crawled all over its feet and up its legs. Not real keen on survival instincts, are they?
roll.png

Oh well... at least the Rangers do now officially have the ability to range in their last couple weeks.
smile.png

This whole meat bird thing has turned into quite the adventure!!

Liz

I don't know if this will help, but I put my feeders and waterers at the far end of the pasture so that they have to venture out. They'll get used to it pretty quickly. Mine now only spend the hottest part of the day in the shade of their hoophouse -- that, and after dark. On days when it is not so doggone hot, they usually spend their late afternoon/early evening 'playing' outside and foraging.

I was thinking about putting food and water out away from the tractor, but I'm afraid they won't find it and will die from dehydration/ heat stress. I really don't know how much they'll be willing to explore!

I've turned many batches of layers out, and they'll bunch up and act stunned at the world for a little bit... then in no time they'll be out chasing bugs and running around like mad things.

Not so the Rangers. They're still acting like the world is out to eat them. Ya think they know what's in store for them?
smile.png

i refill the food and water and put it right outside the door and i add a little cracked corn. that way they have to get out to eat and drink but it's not where they can't find it and that corn gets them pretty excited.

Just to update, the Rangers are actually ranging a bit more now. They seem a little 'flighty' to me vs. my layers.

So, I guess it just took them a little longer to get up the nerve to explore. They still don't go far from the tractor (big hoop style tractor), but when I go out AM and PM to feed there are always some out and about. Course, there are usually a bunch laid out resting in the tractor too.

It's been so darn hot (low to mid 90s and humid) I don't blame them for crashing in the shade most of the day. They sure do go through the water. I have a 3.5 gallon waterer that I fill up 2x a day for 44 birds.

They seem to have hit a bit of a growth spurt too. Woo-hoo!! They'll be 7 weeks old tomorrow. I'm sure looking forward to eating them!

Liz

Back
Top Bottom