Dumb Goat Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by qooqoomom, Mar 1, 2009.

1. qooqoomom

qooqoomom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Utah
    I know this is dumb, but, how do you transport a goat?

We are getting the shelter finished this week, the fencing is ready, I've starting looking around for a couple good dairy goats. Now, how will I get them home? Do you just stick them in the van with the kids? [​IMG]

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I use dog crates or just put them in the back of the van with a big blanket they can pee and poop on. I even put a calf in the back of my van. That was fun to clean up [​IMG]

3. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I have a Jeep Liberty and for long distance hauling I have and use a large plastic dog crate with some bedding in it for absorbancy and padding.. for short distances say to the vet.. I just put a blue plastic tarp in the very back and put them in cage free.. they usually lay down after a bit.. surprisingly my goats ride very well in the vehicle.. you get strange looks though if you stop somewhere and there is loud bleating comeing from in the car:D

4. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    We always use large dog crate too.

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Depends on what else you haul in the van. My Fair-Going van held all sorts of animals/paraphenalia in its lifetime. I've carried many a newborn calf home curled up on someone's lap and many a weaned calf to the auction in the car trunk. ( It's only a 2 mile trip.)

6. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    If all you have is a van, then yes, just put them back there. put something down. Cause they poop and pee ALL the time LOL

If you have a truck but no trailer. I had a 'goat box' that I made from cattle panel. I just took 2 peices, cut it in half and wired them together. (I think we welded them, but wire would work just fine) and set it in the back. I used this to transport a small amount of goats when I raised them. I would cut out a 'door' and wire it back on, then it was easy to open and get them in and out.

7. qooqoomom

qooqoomom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Utah
    I do have a trailer, but it seemed like a goat would get hurt if I just put it in there.

I drive a huge 15 passenger van(11 kids-human kind), so I can take out a couple rows of seats and put the big dog crate in. That seems like it would be easy. On me and the goat.

Now I just have to figure out what kind of goats I want. [​IMG]

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Goats, even scared auctionhouse ones, ride really well in the back of vans. Many just lay down once the van gets going and sleep.
    A crate is the safest way to transport because they could distract the driver. I had a 30 day tag on the inside of my back window that one goat chewed up. [​IMG]
    If they are too big for a crate you can put something down to protect your carpet and just put them in the back of the van. Just have someone go with you to keep the goats from getting upfront and distracting the driver. Usually they don't though. At least that has been my experience.

9. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I brought home 2 full grown goats, a LaMancha and a Saanen in the back of my minivan (the way back behind the 2 row of seats). The both laid down like angels, the Saanen only stood once at a red light just to get a look and sat right back down. I got a few funny looks from the people behind us, but other than that it went very well. I put a thick blanket on the floor and had a dog gate to keep them from coming up front (mostly because I have a 2 year old and I was worried about them injurying my child) but I dont think I would have needed the gate--they were very calm. Good luck on your search for goats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by