Dumb incubator question from a newbie...

PrairieFarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
Hi! I've been reading here about humidity (confusing!) levels in incubators. I've got a new Hovabator 1588. But from what I can tell there is not automatic reading for humidity on it, correct? So how does one know what their humidity is in the incubator then?
Thanks! Eggs are on their way and I want to get this right!

Most folks go to walmart and buy the combo thermometer and hygrometer for about $10. Petsmart also has similiar items in the reptile section. I think some also say you should have more than one. Also, make sure if it needs calibrated to do that as well. I have a brinsea and it is all within the machine so I don't have to add an extra thermometer. Some people still do, but I didn't want to obsess over which one is correct. LOL. I know that I would. Good luck with hatching!
smile.png

Edit: I keep the humidity at 45% for day 1-18, and then increase to 65% for the lockdown days 19-21 (or end of hatch). If you have an egg turner you will want to turn it off on day 18 too.

Last edited:
I bought the combo with the wireless outdoor sensor which has worked great for me since my bator is in my shop. I can monitor it from the house.

You are going to Love the 1588 I have had nothing but great hatches with it. I do hatch my own eggs so I know the fertility is high. shipped eggs will be a crap shot. Good luck on your hatch ! be sure you set the bator up and run it before the eggs come in. fill only the center cavity with water. I use the 10 walmart combo meter and it does a good job.

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll make a Wal-Mart run tomorrow. The eggs are coming from too far away (same state) so I'm hoping that with friendly post office folks they will get here in good shape! I'm going to hatch some of my own as well so I can compare fertility as well.

I use dry incubation. It works well for me thus far and it's a lazy man's incubation

I also use the above poster's recommendation for day 18-21. It works well

Last edited:
This will be my 2nd hatch with the 1588. I have a gage for both temperature and humidity. My first time I just watched the humidity and would add water every few days. I really messed up at lockdown and added too much water. The humidity was too high. My hatch rate was 78% with my own eggs. We are trying shipped eggs starting on Monday. Eggs are in the mail on Wednesday. Hoping for the chicken angels to look over them!

checkout ChooksChick's Cheat Sheet............its a posting on here, use the search window. She has hatched thousands of eggs and knows her stuff. Unless you are in a very dry area i advise taking her advice and don't add water till the 18th day. Wally World combo thermometer and humidity indicator works great. Some of them have the ability to check min and max fluctuations. Happy Hatching

Quote:
Wow thanks! Just found it! So is not adding water at all til day 18 (which ChookChick recommends) is considered a "dry hatch?" Sure is a wealth of knowledge/experience on this forum!

Back
Top Bottom