Dumb question. How do I get the chicks home?

TinyLittleFarm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Wisconsin
We're leaving shortly to go pick up some chicks. Do I just bring a cardboard box? Will the farmer give me something to carry them in? Does the box need bedding and food for a 20 minute car trip home?

Gosh I feel like an idiot.
smile.png

A small cardboard box that you can shut up to protect them from the cold will do fine. You don't need food or water, but some bedding to make the box less slippery for them would be good.

Bring a box or cat/dog crate. I'd just put an old towel on the bottom so you don't have bedding all over your car and the chicks will have a non-slip surface to stand on. Congrats!!

Wow, what a bunch of speed typists

Last edited:
The feed store has given me chicks in paper bags, chicks in small cardboard boxes (one was a Peet's Coffee box), and I just turn up the heater in the car for my 30 minute trip home.

Most times I do this alone, with said bags or boxes on the front passenger seat. Once I brought a friend, and she held the box on her lap, peeking in it any time a particularly loud peep occurred.

And then I put the chicks in the already set up and warmed brooder, right away, once I get home.

Back
Top Bottom