Dumb question regarding meat chickens

joelster666

Hatching
Mar 18, 2015
Newbie here in northern MN. I built a 6x6 coop for our layers (prob go with 8 Rhode Island Reds, pick up in a few weeks) and was wondering if I can keep approx 10 meat chickens in a chicken all summer.I know that's not enough room for both the layers and the newest chickens in the coop. Is keeping them in a chicken tractor all summer an option? If not are there any other options? Have a great day all!

It depends on how big the chicken tractor is. Obviously, if they begin pecking and hurting eachother they need more room. As long as they have shade and plenty of water during hot days and shelter when it rains... they would do fine in a tractor all summer.

Last edited:
Newbie here in northern MN. I built a 6x6 coop for our layers (prob go with 8 Rhode Island Reds, pick up in a few weeks) and was wondering if I can keep approx 10 meat chickens in a chicken all summer.I know that's not enough room for both the layers and the newest chickens in the coop. Is keeping them in a chicken tractor all summer an option? If not are there any other options? Have a great day all!
Having the meaties in a tractor would be a good idea as they produce large amounts of fertilizer. You will want to move them frequently. That's assuming the tractor is predator proof, and is of decent size. I assume the layers will be kept separate?

Welcome! If you get dual purpose birds or freedom rangers, they will do fine and take 12 to 16 weeks to butchering. If you get Cornishx birds, they will do best raised separately from the layers, and will be in the freezer by about 8 weeks of age. They do best in spring, before summer heat, and in a movable tractor to manage the mess. They won't range much, and have joint and heart failure issues, especially if you hang on to them too long. Mary

Back
Top Bottom