Dumb turkey!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by glassparman, Nov 26, 2008.

1. glassparman

glassparman Songster

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    OK, so I processed my first turkey that I raised here at home.

I was doing the evisceration and I noticed how large the gizzard was . . . man, that thing is bigger than my fist!

Anyway, I cut the gizzard open and found a 3 inch nail embedded in it. Where the nail was poking through the gizzard meat, the meat was actually rotting . . . or at least it was a small section of black muck that stunk.

I don't know where it got the nail as I usually have very clean pens.

Do you think I should throw out the entire gizzard or just cut away the bad part?

2. I personally would throw out the whole gizzard...[​IMG]

3. Bassleg

Bassleg Songster

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    I wouldn't eat it!!

4. cackle

cackle Songster

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Yes, you should throw it out. Why take a chance?

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I would say throw it out. I had a guy process my turkeys for me and he told me that bad gizzards are common because of the things they pick up to eat. One of mine actually had a bad liver for some reason and he threw that out too.

6. glassparman

glassparman Songster

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    Well I took everyones advice and threw out the gizzard but boy was the turkey good!

I tried a simple brine recipe and it was the best I have ever had.

It's amazing. My wife also bought a store turkey . . . one of those broad breasted bronze boys that are raised in just a few months. He had a lot of meat but also a lot of fat! His wish bone was only half the size of the wish bone from my farm raised turkey and mine had no fat that I could find anywhere!

I'm sticking with my farm raised birds from now on.

Michael

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by