Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Yeah, heck, in the show right now it's not even really the walkers that are the main threat to survival.  Its dealing with the other idiots who think they need to be in charge of everything.  

Ssshh! No spoilers! I havent watched but the first couple episodes of the current season, after those they wanted me to pay for them!
1f628.png

Yeah, heck, in the show right now it's not even really the walkers that are the main threat to survival.  Its dealing with the other idiots who think they need to be in charge of everything.  

Ssshh! No spoilers! I havent watched but the first couple episodes of the current season, after those they wanted me to pay for them!
1f628.png

You gotta watch them! But here's a tip lol you probably already know it but before wvery new season they have a marathon of the old seasons so you can just wait until next season and reserve a whole day (or record them) and watch them lol

You gotta watch them! But here's a tip lol you probably already know it but before wvery new season they have a marathon of the old seasons so you can just wait until next season and reserve a whole day (or record them) and watch them lol

Yeah, they put the old season on Netflix like a week before the new one starts every fall, that's when we catch up. And then get behind for another year!

Yeah, they put the old season on Netflix like a week before the new one starts every fall, that's when we catch up. And then get behind for another year!

Oh cool! Didn't know they did that

Okay I just have to say how much I love your guys' conversation turning to surviving a disaster and the walking dead!!! This is why this is one of my favorite threads lol. We also watch the walking dead and get behind for a year and then catch up we love that show and are something of preppers ourselves.

Although currently finances keep us from fully prepping I feel we would survive okay. We have plenty of chicken and have learned to process them and quail and fire arms and ammo in case walkers need putting down. We have an emergency seed vault and herb vault and have two local hand worked water pumps. Etc.

Okay I just have to say how much I love your guys' conversation turning to surviving a disaster and the walking dead!!! This is why this is one of my favorite threads lol. We also watch the walking dead and get behind for a year and then catch up we love that show and are something of preppers ourselves.

Although currently finances keep us from fully prepping I feel we would survive okay. We have plenty of chicken and have learned to process them and quail and fire arms and ammo in case walkers need putting down. We have an emergency seed vault and herb vault and have two local hand worked water pumps. Etc.

Oh gosh, I'm not prepared at all compared to you! I just know that DH and I are very resourceful ppl. We completely remodeled a 120 yr old farmhouse in a year and a half with no contracted work (and are still married!). I'm sure we could handle a few zombies! I love zombie movies, my fav one is World War Z, love the plotline!
We will actually be doing our first slaughter this fall, we are newbies. Someday I want sucker pigs and DH wants a pond and ducks, and goats. Our little 10 acre farm!!

Oh gosh, I'm not prepared at all compared to you! I just know that DH and I are very resourceful ppl. We completely remodeled a 120 yr old farmhouse in a year and a half with no contracted work (and are still married!). I'm sure we could handle a few zombies! I love zombie movies, my fav one is World War Z, love the plotline!
We will actually be doing our first slaughter this fall, we are newbies. Someday I want sucker pigs and DH wants a pond and ducks, and goats. Our little 10 acre farm!!

Sounds awesome!!!

How long have you and your DH been together?

I would love to see some pictures of the house!

Sounds awesome!!! We still need a lot of stuff and we're still getting the hang of gardening but we love it. DH2B is a farmer. DH2B has also raised cattle although where we're at now we don't have the space or facilities. We are hoping to buy my grandparent's house and land(some 65+ acres). The house is nearly 200 but my grandparents completely redid it when they bought it almost 50 years ago.

It's a place I've dreamed of owning for 21 years.

I'd love to hear more about your flock.

We hope to have a nice orchard one day. Including apples peaches pears cherries grapes red and black raspberries blackberries and strawberries. Asparagus rhubarb and a spacious garden with all the usuals. Sugar maples and paper birches for syrup. Probably walnuts too and who knows what else.

We plan to have horses(DH2B thinks it would be cool to have a team of draft horses for fun I'd love that) especially as we would be living near Amish country. Not to mention if things became apocalyptic there's no telling how long fuel would last and horses would be reliable transportation.

We also want to some day raise our own pork and beef and of course chickens and quail(we just processed our first two last weekend, so easy!! Still a bit hard BC they are so small and cute.) While small, quail and quail eggs are packed with nutrition and they start laying around 6-8 weeks; the same time you can process them- we waited until 10 weeks BC of weather and being busy. Now I can't believe we waited it took us maybe 10-15 minutes to kill and skin and gut them out. Vaccuum sealed and in the freezer. With a turn around like that that's amazing!

Although I haven't gotten the nerve to do the killing deed I help with all the rest of processing. I spend more time with the chickens and quail; enjoying and talking to them so they are something of pets to me although some more than others. I do want to learn though.

We would also like to raise some heritage DP cattle for milk and meat and maybe try some goats or some other animal as well. We also want to add ducks woth a pond and turkeys someday and aquaponics complete with fish.

We also have dogs and cats.

Sounds awesome!!!

How long have you and your DH been together?

I would love to see some pictures of the house!

Sounds awesome!!! We still need a lot of stuff and we're still getting the hang of gardening but we love it. DH2B is a farmer. DH2B has also raised cattle although where we're at now we don't have the space or facilities. We are hoping to buy my grandparent's house and land(some 65+ acres). The house is nearly 200 but my grandparents completely redid it when they bought it almost 50 years ago.

It's a place I've dreamed of owning for 21 years.

I'd love to hear more about your flock.

We hope to have a nice orchard one day. Including apples peaches pears cherries grapes red and black raspberries blackberries and strawberries. Asparagus rhubarb and a spacious garden with all the usuals. Sugar maples and paper birches for syrup. Probably walnuts too and who knows what else.

We plan to have horses(DH2B thinks it would be cool to have a team of draft horses for fun I'd love that) especially as we would be living near Amish country. Not to mention if things became apocalyptic there's no telling how long fuel would last and horses would be reliable transportation.

We also want to some day raise our own pork and beef and of course chickens and quail(we just processed our first two last weekend, so easy!! Still a bit hard BC they are so small and cute.) While small, quail and quail eggs are packed with nutrition and they start laying around 6-8 weeks; the same time you can process them- we waited until 10 weeks BC of weather and being busy. Now I can't believe we waited it took us maybe 10-15 minutes to kill and skin and gut them out. Vaccuum sealed and in the freezer. With a turn around like that that's amazing!

Although I haven't gotten the nerve to do the killing deed I help with all the rest of processing. I spend more time with the chickens and quail; enjoying and talking to them so they are something of pets to me although some more than others. I do want to learn though.

We would also like to raise some heritage DP cattle for milk and meat and maybe try some goats or some other animal as well. We also want to add ducks woth a pond and turkeys someday and aquaponics complete with fish.

We also have dogs and cats.

I've only slaughtered one chicken before, my mother and I had to dispatch of a BR rooster last spring cause he got mean with the kids and I. We used a killing cone, it took a while. The next BR rooster was bad, too. Gave it to a guy who has a flock of roosters. I don't do BR anymore for that reason.
We have a dog and three outside cats, 17 chickens. My first incubation is in the homemade incubator right now, on day 10. It's just a test batch before we incubate for meat birds (BOs). 9 random mixes, might have some pure BO in there, too.

We always have lots of projects going around the place, I love it, but try to get them finished before starting new ones, for my husband's sanity. We've been together for 17 years, and he's got me pretty well trained to know when there's too much on the spinning plates and I need to stop. Currently, I have an unfinished garden shed/greenhouse, and we have another acre of thorn trees that needs to be killed/burnt off. And the chickens are changing this year, so there will need to be more coop made and better fences. Strawberry tower in garden, wild blackberries brought under control, etc...etc...etc...

yippiechickie.gif
That's me.
he.gif
And that's my husband. Apples and oranges in one basket.

Perhaps you can convince him to let you have pigs, to clear out all the shrubbery? I understand that pigs can be very helpful in this undertaking, and you get bacon when they are done!

Back
Top Bottom