Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Eight! That's so MANY! Lol.

It is like when I tell people that I'm going to breed chickens.

"There are breeds?!"

I know right!? Too many. No way they could ever fit in a town. You must live on 500 acres in the middle of nowhere lol

And oh wow! Hahaha seems pretty common though unfortunately. A lot of people just know them as "chickens"/assume a chicken is a chicken and it's just a different variety not breeds. Or at most know them as "brown ones" "red ones" "white ones" "black ones" LOL

If I had a dollar for every time someone lookes at my mixd flock and exclaims "You have different colors!?! I thought all chickens were brown." I could probably buy enough property out in the country to have room for all the breeds I want. People are funny. That or the people who try to tell me all of my single combed birds are roosters. They always think the single combs are boys and the rose comed ones are girls. Lol. It gets really funny when they try to sort out what thos fluffy, tiny chickens I have are. Silkies always throw people off

If I had a dollar for every time someone lookes at my mixd flock and exclaims "You have different colors!?! I thought all chickens were brown." I could probably buy enough property out in the country to have room for all the breeds I want. People are funny. That or the people who try to tell me all of my single combed birds are roosters. They always think the single combs are boys and the rose comed ones are girls. Lol. It gets really funny when they try to sort out what thos fluffy, tiny chickens I have are. Silkies always throw people off

Oh wow, really!? Hahaha

Most people probably havent seen rose combs but still pretty funny lol

I've been telling my clients about my one poor chicken that got attacked by a hawk and survived back in early december. That Red Tail just managed to rip a big hunk of skin off of her rump. and to help keep the wound clean, I've been giving her an epsom salt bath every couple of days. I usually throw in the line that she used to be nervous about that warm water having noodles and veggies in it, but now is pretty calm with the whole process. Today I had a client that didn't quite get what I was talking about with her being worried about noodles and veggies in warm water would have meant to that chicken.
wink.png

I've been telling my clients about my one poor chicken that got attacked by a hawk and survived back in early december.  That Red Tail just managed to rip a big hunk of skin off of her rump.  and to help keep the wound clean, I've been giving her an epsom salt bath every couple of days.  I usually throw in the line that she used to be nervous about that warm water having noodles and veggies in it, but now is pretty calm with the whole process.  Today I had a client that didn't quite get what I was talking about with her being worried about noodles and veggies in warm water would have meant to that chicken.  ;)

Ha! Thats great. I would just love to see the looks on their faces when you tell them that. I had a hen get egg bound last year so i used a small trashcan to give her a soak. I was in the middle of this when my mom called and asked what I was up to. "Uh, soaking my chicken in a garbage can". She was so confused

I've been telling my clients about my one poor chicken that got attacked by a hawk and survived back in early december. That Red Tail just managed to rip a big hunk of skin off of her rump. and to help keep the wound clean, I've been giving her an epsom salt bath every couple of days. I usually throw in the line that she used to be nervous about that warm water having noodles and veggies in it, but now is pretty calm with the whole process. Today I had a client that didn't quite get what I was talking about with her being worried about noodles and veggies in warm water would have meant to that chicken.
wink.png

My EE, Agnes, had the same problem, only something plucked every last feather from her tail. Her tail stump (what my English grandmother called "The Pope's Nose" on a roast chicken) was all bloody and raw. So, I picked her up in the traditional backwards-under the arm chicken carry, and took her into the kitchen where I cleaned her little rump with mild soap and warm water. She seemed to understand that I wanted to help her, so was very calm and cooperative. After I patted her bottom dry, I applied Vaseline to the raw stump and took her back outside. I repeated the process a few more times, until her feathers started to grow back. Now, she looks perfect again, none the worse for wear.

Everyone thought I was nuts. Well, I am, but not because of this. (Should've seen the stir I caused when my Black Australorp, Aretha, died and I asked the vet to do an autopsy. Turned out she had a wood chip caught in her crop and starved to death. Poor baby. But, I have a rep around town, now as "That Crazy Chicken Lady".)

Had a young lady try to tell me her friend's chickens lay two eggs at least per chicken per day. Claiming that 5 birds are giving her 10 a day! I had to say chickens can only give one a day, they can't give more, they aren't designed to. She gave me a very wierd look.

LOL to be fair they probably meant compared to store bought chicken (and I've heard it's very different) but still, that's pretty bad... hahaha

No, they weren't talking about compare to store-bought. I wish they were. This is the same person who thinks it's cruel to eat a chicken you raised yourself, that we should buy our food from the grocery store where no animals were harmed in order to stock the meat department.

But you're right about the taste being somewhat different in that dark meat IS real dark meat on my home-grown chickens and overall, the chicken taste is more prominent. My husband never had dark meat from a chicken that wasn't from the grocery store. He'd never eaten a chicken who actually used his or her legs in life and grew to be more than 12 weeks old. He never understood why it is customary to ask if a person wants white or dark meat when carving the bird, because to him, the difference was always negligible. Now that he's been eating home-grown, pastured-raised birds, he sees that store-bought chicken has very little taste and he's found that he isn't a fan of dark meat.

No, they weren't talking about compare to store-bought. I wish they were. This is the same person who thinks it's cruel to eat a chicken you raised yourself, that we should buy our food from the grocery store where no animals were harmed in order to stock the meat department.

But you're right about the taste being somewhat different in that dark meat IS real dark meat on my home-grown chickens and overall, the chicken taste is more prominent. My husband never had dark meat from a chicken that wasn't from the grocery store. He'd never eaten a chicken who actually used his or her legs in life and grew to be more than 12 weeks old. He never understood why it is customary to ask if a person wants white or dark meat when carving the bird, because to him, the difference was always negligible. Now that he's been eating home-grown, pastured-raised birds, he sees that store-bought chicken has very little taste and he's found that he isn't a fan of dark meat.

We have discovered that dark meat that some people find unappealing BC of its texture(especially when used to store bought chicken) can be helped a lot and not wasted by putting in the slow cooker with BBQ and making pulled BBQ chicken. We don't mind dark meat but with only two of us currently our heritage birds last several meals and reheated chicken meat especially dark meat tend to get tougher. This really solves the problem. Although we wouldn't let it go to waste after several meals of roast chicken we began to get bored of it and this got us excited again and reused the leftovers.

Or make enchiladas or fajitas there is loads to do with it. Or just save it and add it to soup.

Back
Top Bottom