Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

We have discovered that dark meat that some people find unappealing BC of its texture(especially when used to store bought chicken) can be helped a lot and not wasted by putting in the slow cooker with BBQ and making pulled BBQ chicken. We don't mind dark meat but with only two of us currently our heritage birds last several meals and reheated chicken meat especially dark meat tend to get tougher. This really solves the problem. Although we wouldn't let it go to waste after several meals of roast chicken we began to get bored of it and this got us excited again and reused the leftovers.

Or make enchiladas or fajitas there is loads to do with it. Or just save it and add it to soup.

Certainly! Dark meat doesn't go to waste in this house. I use the dark meat in a lot of different dishes and he's okay with it, but just to pick up a drumstick and eat it, not so much now. He used to like the drumstick because he said it's like food on a stick -- like a meat popsicle -- but not now.

Last edited:
Certainly! Dark meat doesn't go to waste in this house. I use the dark meat in a lot of different dishes and he's okay with it, but just to pick up a drumstick and eat it, not so much now. He used to like the drumstick because he said it's like food on a stick -- like a meat popsicle -- but not now.

I always loved the drumstick too but on real chicken that's had a life and moves and everything there are a lot more tendons so I completely understand where he's coming from. I still like the meat but I don't just grab a leg and chow down.

Young birds, like cockerels just starting to crow, pullets same age, still have somewhat tender legs. Cooked low and slow, even on the grill OK IMHO. Older birds get a 20-25 min pressure cooker treatment, tender. Old birds get ground up into burger or sausage. Just made some hot buffalo wing chicken sausage, couldn't even tell they were four yr old hens
:-D
How about the black meat silkies "ewww, what do they taste like!?"
Just like chicken Lol! :-D

No, they weren't talking about compare to store-bought. I wish they were. This is the same person who thinks it's cruel to eat a chicken you raised yourself, that we should buy our food from the grocery store where no animals were harmed in order to stock the meat department.

But you're right about the taste being somewhat different in that dark meat IS real dark meat on my home-grown chickens and overall, the chicken taste is more prominent. My husband never had dark meat from a chicken that wasn't from the grocery store. He'd never eaten a chicken who actually used his or her legs in life and grew to be more than 12 weeks old. He never understood why it is customary to ask if a person wants white or dark meat when carving the bird, because to him, the difference was always negligible. Now that he's been eating home-grown, pastured-raised birds, he sees that store-bought chicken has very little taste and he's found that he isn't a fan of dark meat.

Oh wow, that's worse then! Lol

And hmm, interesting. I hate dark meat but I've never actually had it. I just don't like the look and refuse to eat it lol

No, they weren't talking about compare to store-bought. I wish they were. This is the same person who thinks it's cruel to eat a chicken you raised yourself, that we should buy our food from the grocery store where no animals were harmed in order to stock the meat department.

But you're right about the taste being somewhat different in that dark meat IS real dark meat on my home-grown chickens and overall, the chicken taste is more prominent. My husband never had dark meat from a chicken that wasn't from the grocery store. He'd never eaten a chicken who actually used his or her legs in life and grew to be more than 12 weeks old. He never understood why it is customary to ask if a person wants white or dark meat when carving the bird, because to him, the difference was always negligible. Now that he's been eating home-grown, pastured-raised birds, he sees that store-bought chicken has very little taste and he's found that he isn't a fan of dark meat.

We have discovered that dark meat that some people find unappealing BC of its texture(especially when used to store bought chicken) can be helped a lot and not wasted by putting in the slow cooker with BBQ and making pulled BBQ chicken. We don't mind dark meat but with only two of us currently our heritage birds last several meals and reheated chicken meat especially dark meat tend to get tougher. This really solves the problem. Although we wouldn't let it go to waste after several meals of roast chicken we began to get bored of it and this got us excited again and reused the leftovers.

Or make enchiladas or fajitas there is loads to do with it. Or just save it and add it to soup.

Certainly! Dark meat doesn't go to waste in this house. I use the dark meat in a lot of different dishes and he's okay with it, but just to pick up a drumstick and eat it, not so much now. He used to like the drumstick because he said it's like food on a stick -- like a meat popsicle -- but not now.

I always loved the drumstick too but on real chicken that's had a life and moves and everything there are a lot more tendons so I completely understand where he's coming from. I still like the meat but I don't just grab a leg and chow down.

Young birds, like cockerels just starting to crow, pullets same age, still have somewhat tender legs. Cooked low and slow, even on the grill OK IMHO. Older birds get a 20-25 min pressure cooker treatment, tender. Old birds get ground up into burger or sausage. Just made some hot buffalo wing chicken sausage, couldn't even tell they were four yr old hens
:-D
How about the black meat silkies "ewww, what do they taste like!?"
Just like chicken Lol! :-D

Those recipes sound good, maybe in something i could eat it

This on msn right now...

The color of the shell depends on the breed of the hen that laid it.
AAmYpRN.img
© Provided by Business Insider Inc
Hens with white feathers usually lay white eggs, and red hens lay brown eggs.

What? So Barred Rocks lay...
1) Black eggs
2) White eggs
3) Striped eggs

roll.png

th.gif
This from "Business Insider"...would you trust them on anything to do with your business? And black cows give chocolate milk, red cows give strawberry milk, white cows give white milk and the black and white cows give half and half.

:th This from "Business Insider"...would you trust them on anything to do with your business?    And black cows give chocolate milk, red cows give strawberry milk, white cows give white milk and the black and white cows give half and half. 

Actually chocolate (brown) cows give chocolate milk, black cows give oreo and black and white give cookies and cream :p strawberry milk comes from literally pink cows just like strawberry milk looks :p

Jk jk just messin with ya haha

Although technically brown is red in animals lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom