Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

:lau
My mother-in-law is a complete hygiene freak, and my husband still hates to touch the chickens because 'birds carry diseases'. My toddler and I are in the coop at least a couple of hours every day and seem to have miraculously avoided these deadly diseases.

Well, people carry diseases, too. After being out and about all day, touching nasty doorknobs, elevator buttons, hand rails, grocery cart handles, etc., etc., they carry LOTS of diseases. Chickens don't touch any of those things; they stay out in the fresh air and sunshine all day, on the ground that's much cleaner than the bottom of any shoe, which is then worn into the house. I'd avoid touching or kissing hubs when he gets home from work until he's scrubbed well in the shower. He needs to leave his shoes outside, too - he's worn them on parking lots and side walks. Oh, GROSS!

Last edited:
Honey was found in the pyramids in Egypt still good after 2000 years the low moisture content (usually less than3%) stops and kicks any and all bacteria and to keep honey cold is not good but to liquefy it just put it in a pan of warm wAter or you can put it in the microwave on defrost until it melts no problem but they used honey to dress wounds during WWI it would kill any bacteria in the wound. It's one of the most important items for your home cubboard for the properties are like no other. It will also help cure sore throats because of it drawing moisture to the soreness also as a facelift because of the same properties.

I got an abscess in a cut thumb once (I work in a school - talk about germs!) and soaked it in warm water all weekend without relief. So, my doctor asked if I would be willing to try an old "mountain remedy". He told me to put honey on it and bandage it twice a day, then come back in 2 days. Sure enough, the honey acted as a drawing salve, pulling all of the infection to the surface, just under the skin ... like a blister. He was then able to cut the skin (no pain b/c it was dead just like a blister) and gently squeeze all the infection out. A little antiseptic and a fresh bandage and it was good as new! I've since used honey to draw out thorns and splinters. Great stuff!

Last edited:
I got an abscess in a cut thumb once (I work in a school - talk about germs!) and soaked it in warm water all weekend without relief. So, my doctor asked if I would be willing to try an old "mountain remedy". He told me to put honey on it and bandage it twice a day, then come back in 2 days. Sure enough, the honey acted as a drawing salve, pulling all of the infection to the surface, just under the skin ... like a blister. He was then able to cut the skin (no pain b/c it was dead just like a blister) and gently squeeze all the infection out. A little antiseptic and a fresh bandage and it was good as new! I've since used honey to drawn out thorns and splinters. Great stuff!

thanks for this "trick"

See, we got a crow family that makes a nest in the neighbor's backyard every year.  The thing about crows is, they are frighteningly smart. And they remember if a person does something good or bad for a crow, and they pass that info on to other crows....

Well first year we moved in, I rescued one of the fledgling babies from a lawn mower and set her under our little wild rose bush were she would be safe.  Mom and dad were watching the whole time squawking up a storm, so I made sure to leave some food out as a peace offering so they would know I wasn't trying to steal or harm their baby.  She got much better at flying by the next day and was hoping around just fine with her fam a couple weeks later, looking like an ungainly little goth teenager lol.  Since then I've left occasional food out for them and i will greet and talk to them if they're hanging around.  How much a crow can understand of that I have no way to measure, but they're at least parrot smart, and they have definitely figured out that I'm one of the nice people.

They repay me by guarding the flock.  Last year I transferred the chicks outside at about 4 weeks, tired of the mess and noise in the house already after they out grew their brooder.  Didn't even think about the possibility of the crows being a problem.  Lo and behold, they started watching after the little chicks, would give them alarm calls if they saw a cat or a dog near by, and the one time a hark showed up they mobbed it non-stop for a week before it gave up and left.  I haven't had to worry about aerial predators since.  A little kindness and some bribery recruited me a pretty awesome protection detail lol.

Wow. I'm definitely going to have to try that. What kind of food do you put out for them?

I used to freak out and wash my hands obsessively after touching a clean chicken. Then two things happened, fair week and working at a daycare. Now I wash my hands every time a kid touches me (gotta love the paranoia that BBP-universal precautions training instills...) but not really all that much after handling a *clean* chicken. I ate an entire basket of chicken strips and fries after handling show chickens, and I realized it almost an hour later. I laughed weeks later, because I didn't get sick, but all I could think was "I was eating chicken after touching essentially raw chicken."
I have an incubator full of eggs that should hatch Friday, and I started clucking at the eggs today (day 19) since they would normally "talk" with the hen. I heard a little peep back from the bator, and called my mom to tell her about it. I explained how the chick can hear and peep from inside the shell, and she gasped and said "NO WAY!". At first I thought she was joking, but she was seriously impressed and ecstatic. LOL

Well, people carry diseases, too. After being out and about all day, touching nasty doorknobs, elevator buttons, hand rails, grocery cart handles, etc., etc., they carry LOTS of diseases. Chickens don't touch any of those things; they stay out in the fresh air and sunshine all day, on the ground that's much cleaner than the bottom of any shoe, which is then worn into the house. I'd avoid touching or kissing hubs when he gets home from work until he's scrubbed well in the shower. He needs to leave his shoes outside, too - he's worn them on parking lots and side walks. Oh, GROSS!
gig.gif
Tell me about it. And all the people that come up to you when you have a baby, touch her all over her face, then say 'Sorry, I won't come any closer, I got really bad gastro at the moment'.

I used to freak out and wash my hands obsessively after touching a clean chicken. Then two things happened, fair week and working at a daycare. Now I wash my hands every time a kid touches me (gotta love the paranoia that BBP-universal precautions training instills...) but not really all that much after handling a *clean* chicken. I ate an entire basket of chicken strips and fries after handling show chickens, and I realized it almost an hour later. I laughed weeks later, because I didn't get sick, but all I could think was "I was eating chicken after touching essentially raw chicken."
I have an incubator full of eggs that should hatch Friday, and I started clucking at the eggs today (day 19) since they would normally "talk" with the hen. I heard a little peep back from the bator, and called my mom to tell her about it. I explained how the chick can hear and peep from inside the shell, and she gasped and said "NO WAY!". At first I thought she was joking, but she was seriously impressed and ecstatic. LOL
Participating in a hatch is absolutely incredible. I wish I had some white eggs to set this time. Looking into a white egg and seeing that baby dancing between 6 and 14 days is absolutely stunning. Human babies hear very well in utero as well. They respond with changes in heart rate and blood pressure to mothers voice, and even respond negatively if they hear parents argueing. Babies exposed to classical music in utero have higher math skills than babies without that exposure.

congrats on your upcoming hatch!!!

Raw chicken!!! HAHAhaa!

Wow i can't believe you talk to the un"born" chickens and they talk back...
They are going to be geniuses!

Back
Top Bottom