Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

I've been getting a bit of flak from my mother-in-law about salmonella. She's reading all sorts of crap about how 'chickens WILL get children and old people sick'.
The guidelines she read are as follows:
Never have chickens in your house, even as babies. (I brood indoors, and my silkies sleep in a ferret cage in the house)
Don't pet them 'too much', or 'too deeply' (whatever the heck that means),
If you must touch them, scrub yourself thoroughly with antibacterial soap (which I don't even use)

The FDA 'recommendations' lately are getting absurd about chickens. As more people get chickens as pets and not as livestock, supposedly more people are getting salmonella. I read one suggestion that said children under 5 should NEVER touch a chicken... Also, NEVER EVER, FOR ANY REASON, GOOD GOD NEVER KISS A CHICKEN. Good luck keeping my 2 year old from hugging and kissing her favorite creatures...

The only good thing they said was 'don't wash eggs in running water', which is something that my MIL used to do with any 'country' eggs, even if they looked clean...

lol I kiss my chickens 100,00,00 times a day!

I was watching a cooking show with the french chef Jacques Pepin. He was using eggs in a recipe and being from France he is also used to unwashed unrefrigerated eggs. He said always crack the egg on a flat surface such as a countertop rather than on the edge of a bowl or glass like many of us are used to. Then pull the egg apart rather than dig into it to pull it apart. In this manner you are less likely to introduce surface contaminants into the egg contents. How effective it is, I don't know, but it makes sense.

Yes, we had to relearn how to crack eggs, we also leave our unwashed eggs out on the counter, then wash in very warm water before using, then crack on a flat surface and pull apart. Eggs that have poo on them don't get stored, they get washed and boiled and either pickled for us or fed back to the birds. As long as the bloom is still on the egg, we judge them safe from contamination. It's been hard to re educate my husband that eggs on the counter aren't necessarily rotten, eggs with poo on them aren't necessarily contaminated, and these henfresh eggs dont expire next week, like the store eggs that are already 1 to 2 months old and washed that long ago.(which is why they put that crappy wax coating on them)

Wait so that's a real thing that actually happens!? Ewwww

:lau Oh yea, that is definitely a real thing! The bugs are usually big enough to pick them off while you're washing them. For me, its a small price to pay for food that has no chemicals, pesticides or antibiotics on them. Its just a weird mental thing my brain had to get over the first 1/2dz times I did it. :sick

:lau Oh yea, that is definitely a real thing! The bugs are usually big enough to pick them off while you're washing them. For me, its a small price to pay for food that has no chemicals, pesticides or antibiotics on them. Its just a weird mental thing my brain had to get over the first 1/2dz times I did it. :sick

Gross! Lol

Yes, we had to relearn how to crack eggs, we also leave our unwashed eggs out on the counter, then wash in very warm water before using, then crack on a flat surface and pull apart. Eggs that have poo on them don't get stored, they get washed and boiled and either pickled for us or fed back to the birds. As long as the bloom is still on the egg, we judge them safe from contamination. It's been hard to re educate my husband that eggs on the counter aren't necessarily rotten, eggs with poo on them aren't necessarily contaminated, and these henfresh eggs dont expire next week, like the store eggs that are already 1 to 2 months old and washed that long ago.(which is why they put that crappy wax coating on them)

Sounds like a good plan

I remember when I was younger I was helping to prepare food at a homeless shelter. I guess the food came from local farms or something. I just remember taking the husks off the corn and having to pull all the caterpillars (?) off from under the husks and I wasn't used to that lol. We moved a lot and lived everywhere from big cities to way out in the country but always got all of our food from the grocery store. I think most of the fruits and vegetables had various little normal bugs in their crevices.

It does, but only because yet again we are so far removed from our food that we forget normal fruits and vegetables have dirt and bugs and they aren't all uniform in size and they have thing like bruises and blemishes and such. An unbelievable amount of food is wasted because of that. I inquired about tossed fruits and veggies at my local grocery store (seeing if I could have them for my chickens) and they said they sent them to the food banks and shelters, which made me happy. Too bad for the chickens, but at least it was not going to the landfill.

Back
Top Bottom