Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a cousin who has chickens he has over 30 hens that stay in a building all the time. he doesn't buy feed but goes to the bread store and buys their discarded bread. all the eat is bread and has never dewormed the birds, has lost so many. they are sickly he has offered them to me and as much as i want to help the hens i can't risk them infecting my current flock of healthy birds. i have tried to educate him to no avail. animal control states as long as he gives them food water and shelter nothing they can do. no i didn't call them someone else did. it is very sad.

Tell him that you'll take his chickens. Make them yours. Explain to him about quarantine and ask if you can continue to keep the birds at his place for a couple more weeks. During that time, insist on taking over 100% of their care. De worm them. Get them some real food. Vitamins in the water. Really try to perk them up.

After you do that, he will either see that the type of care does make a difference and learn to do right, or he'll give you all his chickens that are now healthy.

Of course you would still have to worry about long term effects and whether or not you'd want to put them with your flock at all. But it would give his girls a fighting chance.

Quote:
well, you can tell them to take sand paper to the outside of the egg and sand all the brown off.....no really you can.

Will that remove my freckles? LOL, it's weird how some people act. They are supermarket born and bred these peeps. Wouldn't know farm fresh if it hit them in their faces and also don't realise that what we provide is far superior to ANY supermarket egg
lol just tell them it means you eggs have more vitamins or those are anit-aging spots
gig.gif
Make sure you have a presentation voice, move your hands as you boisterously explain it. "You better get them while you can them baby's sell our fast, don't miss out in reaping the benefits of such marvelous eggs."

I know others have had this complaint before, but with half my girls molting, it's driving me insane. I have two customers that will only eat brown eggs (one who prefers not to get the "speckled" ones). They say the colored ones taste funny and aren't natural. Even the pink ones! The problem comes from the fact that a third of my flock lays blue, green or super pink. If they weren't regulars (aka steady income source) I'd tell them to get over it or buy elsewhere. Not sure what they'll do this week. It's an option of take a mixed carton, accept teeny pullet eggs or don't buy this week.

Awww. Just buy brown ones at the grocery store and don't tell them; it's not like they'll really know. Your girls will be laying again soon enough. :p

i have a cousin who has chickens he has over 30 hens that stay in a building all the time. he doesn't buy feed but goes to the bread store and buys their discarded bread. all the eat is bread and has never dewormed the birds, has lost so many. they are sickly he has offered them to me and as much as i want to help the hens i can't risk them infecting my current flock of healthy birds. i have tried to educate him to no avail. animal control states as long as he gives them food water and shelter nothing they can do. no i didn't call them someone else did. it is very sad.

Good heavens! Hasn't he heard of a bread and water diet for prisoners?? Binds up your insides like concrete!! Rescue those birds, ASAP!

You just have to name them correctly. For instance, my two pigs were named Bacon and Sausage. My turkeys were Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't really name my chickens, other than a few of them, but I have a friend who names hers things like Original and Extra Crispy.

That's exactly what we do, lol. We always used to say that you should never name something that you're going to eat, but the kids were really hung up on naming them. So, we made the rule that they could only name them after their favorite foods. Our cows always have names like Chuck, T-bone, and Taco. We also have label names, like Mom's Mean Tom, and Resurrection Chicken. That one was an exception to the rule, but a funny story, actually named by our pastor. We thought she was at death's door from getting in with the Turkeys and being beat up by Mom's Mean Tom, skull totally exposed from a night of head pecking, beyond saving. Hubby decided to save it from suffering and broke it's neck and dropped its lifeless little 3 week old body into the burn barrel. He forgot about lighting it, and 3 mornings later, after seeing the kids off at the bus stop, I started walking down our gravel drive way when I heard a familiar sound. This same exact chicken, with crusty scabbed head, was following me to the house. It was kind of spooky. I picked it up and walked over to the 50 gallon burn barrel, peered down inside, and it was empty. This little gal went inside with me, and made a full recovery before I put her back out with the other birds. Unfortunately, she was a Cornish cross, and had to be butchered. Needless to say, I have a new perspective on what a life threatening injury is for a chicken. And a quarter sized patch of bare skull is not life threatening.

Back to topic though, I have had people ask me if the white albumin substance that is attached to the egg yolk is rooster sperm.

That's exactly what we do, lol. We always used to say that you should never name something that you're going to eat, but the kids were really hung up on naming them. So, we made the rule that they could only name them after their favorite foods. Our cows always have names like Chuck, T-bone, and Taco. We also have label names, like Mom's Mean Tom, and Resurrection Chicken. That one was an exception to the rule, but a funny story, actually named by our pastor. We thought she was at death's door from getting in with the Turkeys and being beat up by Mom's Mean Tom, skull totally exposed from a night of head pecking, beyond saving. Hubby decided to save it from suffering and broke it's neck and dropped its lifeless little 3 week old body into the burn barrel. He forgot about lighting it, and 3 mornings later, after seeing the kids off at the bus stop, I started walking down our gravel drive way when I heard a familiar sound. This same exact chicken, with crusty scabbed head, was following me to the house. It was kind of spooky. I picked it up and walked over to the 50 gallon burn barrel, peered down inside, and it was empty. This little gal went inside with me, and made a full recovery before I put her back out with the other birds. Unfortunately, she was a Cornish cross, and had to be butchered. Needless to say, I have a new perspective on what a life threatening injury is for a chicken. And a quarter sized patch of bare skull is not life threatening.

Back to topic though, I have had people ask me if the white albumin substance that is attached to the egg yolk is rooster sperm.
All of the egg white(oddly it is clear until cooked) is the Albumin. The white string is called the Chalazae and attaches the yolk to the shell.

eggcrosssection.gif

Last edited:
I got a new pair of 6 week old chicks this weekend and family visited so I showed them off. A Barrad Rock and Speckled Sussex. They barely have a comb and no waddles, and the comb they have is yellow. And my mother, who has never owned chickens or worked with any, announces, "They're roosters."

Um, no, I have seen young roosters before, did research, and bought them as pullets. They will be hens.

"Then why do they look like roosters?"

How Do they look like roosters?

"*shrugs* They all look the same to me."

:duc :rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom