Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blooie, to be fair, most eggs you find in a supermarket probably come from a commercial layer breed. Hy-Line is one of the biggest players in the field, and looking at their "product information", I'd say that holds true to the "breeds" they market. Sort of the same as saying that a chicken has feathers, someone will then bring up some weird variations of naked necks, or silkies. Or that a cat has fur, once again you get naked cats as an contradicting example. But it would probably be better to say that white eggs usually come from a Hy-Line W36, which has white lobes and uses less feed, or brown eggs usually come from a Hy-Line brown, which has red lobes and uses a bit more feed.

i have mostly brown egg layers but from what i have seen from my grams flocks white egg layers are smaller but they eat like little piglets so the cost is mostly the same in wasted feed but it is kind of funny people actually count that extra say half a cup that you would feed white egg layers vs. brown layers as a significant enough to write a article about it
gig.gif

i have mostly brown egg layers but from what i have seen from my grams flocks white egg layers are smaller but they eat like little piglets so the cost is mostly the same in wasted feed but it is kind of funny people actually count that extra say half a cup that you would feed white egg layers vs. brown layers as a significant enough to write a article about it
gig.gif
Well, if you've got 30000 hens, I think it makes quite a difference. Even a gram per day would be pretty much, a ton per month. You have to remember that most poultry research focuses on production poultry, not a backyard flock.

Well, if you've got 30000 hens, I think it makes quite a difference. Even a gram per day would be pretty much, a ton per month. You have to remember that most poultry research focuses on production poultry, not a backyard flock.

Yeah but this is a funny forum further more they need to emphasize that fact so people with smaller flocks don't go super san

Last edited:
Speaking of Silkies... what exactly are their feathers anyways? Are they even feathers?

If you ever look at the bottom of a normal hens feather, they have a sort of down at the base of the feather. Silkies have a genetic fault that means that the whole feather is like that down

My mother was the same way about eggs.  When she was growing up the big advertising campaign about how white eggs were better and cleaner was in full swing.  So all our chickens laid white eggs because she didn't want the pour second class brown ones.  White bread too, all that advertizing about wonder bread had her making white bread instead of whole wheat like her mother made. 
Yes, The same way Marketing does to beef. As Angus beef is the best. Other breeds are just as good, it's all marketing

My bf is so resigned to making me stuff for my chickens now, driving to the post office at 11 pm to pick up chicks, driving me all over the state to get chickens, and rabbits and I started by just wanting 8 egg layers for blue and pink eggs. Now I am at 54 chickens. We're going to be getting muscovy ducks this weekend.

I kinda have a silly question. My new chicks, 1 of them is constantly covered in fermented feed on it's head and chest, how should I get it off of it? It's kinda dried on now..

My bf is so resigned to making me stuff for my chickens now, driving to the post office at 11 pm to pick up chicks, driving me all over the state to get chickens, and rabbits and I started by just wanting 8 egg layers for blue and pink eggs. Now I am at 54 chickens. We're going to be getting muscovy ducks this weekend.

I kinda have a silly question. My new chicks, 1 of them is constantly covered in fermented feed on it's head and chest, how should I get it off of it? It's kinda dried on now..

That actually sounds fun to me..

I'd use warm water to soften it off then blow dry the chick with warm air. That's what I do for pasty butt.

I would put warm water on a paper towel and try to gently rub it off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom