Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both my husband and I are Vegans but we have always been very vocal when it comes to raising our own food. My husband said he'd eat our chickens eggs because he knows where they come from and that they are happy, healthy, well taken care of. And if I ever had enough room to rise chickens for meat that he would eat those as well. (I became vegan for him so these where all my ideas in the first place) But many friends ask us how we would be willing to eat those eggs but not store bought ones. Also that it's terribly cruel for me to raise something I would just kill....
barnie.gif
Crazy people! I try and try to explain to them but than they tell me I'm just being a hypocrite.

When talking to people about getting a small flock of chickens they said;

Them- "Don't you know chickens stink? Haven't you ever driven by an egg (or chicken) farm?"

Me- "Yeah, but those chickens are stacked on top of each other and in the thousands and don't get their coop tended to like I would."

Them- (Repeating)"But haven't you driven by a chicken farm? " & "Anyway, I don't care how much tending you do they still stink!"

I was telling my 91 year old mother about the healthy free range chicken eggs the chicks will have later.
I said you have to brush them off or sort of sand them ... as they get poo but not wash them as it makes the bacteria go inside. I could tell in her voice that brushing them off wasnt good enough for her. Those she gets from the store... well...if you pay MONEY for your eggs... ...they HAVE to be better right? HAHA ...Brother!!

I haven't gotten any meat chickens yet, but my mother and aunt just can not understand how I could raise a chicken only to "murder a poor trusting, defenseless chicken". Keep in mind they have no problem going to the store and eating the chicken from there because "It doesn't have a name and they don't have to look at its face". My mother has even told my DD that "It's sad your mother wants to murder chickens. Won't that make you sad when she kills the chickens?".
barnie.gif
It drives me crazy!!
he.gif

I only have one original "crazy comment"

My daughters enjoy the kit kitterage movie (depression era, the girls neighbor started selling eggs to supplement family's income and was made fun of). When I told our children that we were going to buy a new house so we could raise chickens and other animals, they started crying and asked if we were poor now. I explained that we were actually going to be spending way more money to do this, but I thought we would be healthier because of it. It took some time, but they finally came around.

Of course our old neighbors all thought we were mildly crazy to leave an overcrowded area for cleaner air and safer schools, but to each his own :p

We have gotten this comment 3-4 times now - "Wow, you are raising chickens? You guys are off the grid! If there is ever a disaster you will be so prepared!" LOL. If there is a horrible disaster we wouldn't be able to get feed for the chickens or water from our electric powered well and eating our 5 chickens surely wouldn't last very long!

My friends keep asking why on Earth I would want chickens, and my friend keeps asking me if I'm going to eat them. No matter what I tell them, they still don't understand why I would want these animals. They just don't get it!
he.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom