Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the conversation I had with my son-in-law (who also has chickens) when I got my first egg a couple of weeks ago......

Me: "Hey Mike! Today one of my hens laid her first egg!"

Him: "Congratulations! Now you only have to get around 400 dozen more until you're ahead!"

Me: I run and go look at all the invoices from when I first decided to get into having chickens........

ep.gif
dang it! He's right!
VERY TRUE> LOVE IT!!!
yuckyuck.gif

You guys have have it SO EASY. Let me explain. We move to the 'country', 3000 miles away from our former home to embark on our huge lifestyle change. We find something that is roughly 20 miles round trip to the post office. We set up camp on our Fabulous Five acres and start aquiring livestock. Less than 3 weeks into it, Nosie Nellie sports her Hoveround, Lark (whatever) down our drive. SO IT BEGINS. These are exact quotes. "Where's your rooster? If you're gonna have hens, you have to have a rooster." No, to have chicks I need a rooster. "You cannot possibly free-range those chickens!" WHY? "You'll lose some." "Do you know how to candle an egg?" WHY? "If you EAT an egg with a blood spot, you can get VERY sick." WHAT? "You have to feed chickens grains. They'll starve if you don't. They won't survive." HA! "Your chickens are screwy. They range too far. You need to pen them." ??? "If you don't feed them layer mash, they won't lay." chickens... So, the entire garden that I prepared for the chickens doomed them to death? It is a new growing season. I would love to tell this woman to......eff off. How do I bring this well-meaning so-and-so to heel? She takes my eggs readily enough. "Oh, your Americana eggs are so sweet. Please, no duck eggs, they disgust me." She has even informed my husband that he knows nothing about horses (we have 5) and called animal enforcement on some unsheared sheep at a neighbors. Any advice would be....advantageous. Does anyone else have it this bad? AND....If you you do, in which section should I post this?

I could keep reading this thread all day! Hilarious! My students, who all live in the city, asked me if i bought bugs for my chickens to eat. Had to laugh out loud on that one. They also thought that you couldn't eat the eggs if you had a rooster. They enjoyed testing them for protein and vitamins against store bought eggs. I did have a friend out that I had a lot of explaining to do. She is a city girl and knew absoultely nothing. Best part was when she asked me, as she was standing in the coop, "What's a roost?" "How do you get them all to go in at night?"

The worst had to be from my mom, who raised chickens when I was young, "You have roosters. All of your eggs are fertile." me: "Yes, I know." her "How do you eat them if there are little chicks in there?" (She was completely serious!) Me: "I pick them up everyday and put them in the icebox. They won't develop." Her: "Oh."

LOL! I love my mom! So entertaining!
I buy bugs for my chickens... is that wrong? I go down to the reptile store and buy them some mealworms. They love them! I've also been known to come back with some crickets and watched the chicks chase them all over.

Oh I've had lots, here are some:

Do they have babies in them?
Are the green ones bad? Are the blue ones sweet?
How do I wash the dirt off (brown eggs)?
Only white ones are sanitary
Of course you need a rooster
The colored ones are dirty and are from sick roosters (yes they meant a rooster).
I'd never eat anything out of an animal's butt, yet they are cramming their face with a Egg McMuffin with extra cheese.

I live in the city, though most of the rooster comments came from older people who claimed to have owned chickens. LOL
youy know i've heard that myth all my life that hens won't lay eggs without a rooster....unfortunatlely it wasn't till recently that i found otherwise....i wonder where that started from.

This is a little different story.
I always do a lengthy interview with potential buyers of my extra roosters to ensure they'll have a great home.
This guy was interested in a few so I grilled him on his chicken knowledge and he seemed to pass the snuff test until this...

I asked him what did he have to transport them? He replied, "A Bag."

My reply was short and to the point, I said, "No. No Rooster For You." (In the soup nazi voice)

This is a little different story.
I always do a lengthy interview with potential buyers of my extra roosters to ensure they'll have a great home.
This guy was interested in a few so I grilled him on his chicken knowledge and he seemed to pass the snuff test until this...
I asked him what did he have to transport them? He replied, "A Bag."
My reply was short and to the point, I said, "No. No Rooster For You." (In the soup nazi voice)
What is wrong with transporting one or more chickens in a cloth bag????? The fabric is quite porous, so they can breathe easily, and the inside of the bag is somewhat dark and so helps calm them. My daughter couldn't find her pet carrier to take her cat to the vet, so she called the vet to see if they had a carrier she could borrow... THE VET told her to put the cat in a pillowcase to bring it in! Ever heard the saying "a pig in a poke"???? A "poke" is a sack! I think you should re-think your stance on this.

Last edited:
OK...I have a couple so far:

My mother thot I needed a roo to get eggs (she grew up on a farm), my grandfather thot you HAD to use straw or woodchips in the run & was amazed that I was using sand (this is the farm my mom grew up on)...

And not so bad since this came from kids under the age of 10 (more cute actually): a couple of the neighbor kids have asked something along these lines (pointing to my bantums) "Are those the big chicken's babies?"...ME "All of my chickens are young except those 2 small ones over there (bantums about a yr old) so none have babies. Those are just a different kind of chicken that doesn't get so big"...KID "Oh, I didn't know chickens came in different sizes."

As for my eggs (I only have 2 hens laying so far so it was easy to identify who was laying which egg) I told someone the other day that my white hen lays the brown eggs & my black hen lays the white ones...Their reply "That's kinda backwards isn't it?" (luckily they were just being silly & know chicken color doesn't determine egg color...lol)

You guys have have it SO EASY. Let me explain. We move to the 'country', 3000 miles away from our former home to embark on our huge lifestyle change. We find something that is roughly 20 miles round trip to the post office. We set up camp on our Fabulous Five acres and start aquiring livestock. Less than 3 weeks into it, Nosie Nellie sports her Hoveround, Lark (whatever) down our drive. SO IT BEGINS. These are exact quotes. "Where's your rooster? If you're gonna have hens, you have to have a rooster." No, to have chicks I need a rooster. "You cannot possibly free-range those chickens!" WHY? "You'll lose some." "Do you know how to candle an egg?" WHY? "If you EAT an egg with a blood spot, you can get VERY sick." WHAT? "You have to feed chickens grains. They'll starve if you don't. They won't survive." HA! "Your chickens are screwy. They range too far. You need to pen them." ??? "If you don't feed them layer mash, they won't lay." chickens... So, the entire garden that I prepared for the chickens doomed them to death? It is a new growing season. I would love to tell this woman to......eff off. How do I bring this well-meaning so-and-so to heel? She takes my eggs readily enough. "Oh, your Americana eggs are so sweet. Please, no duck eggs, they disgust me." She has even informed my husband that he knows nothing about horses (we have 5) and called animal enforcement on some unsheared sheep at a neighbors. Any advice would be....advantageous. Does anyone else have it this bad? AND....If you you do, in which section should I post this?
Hi, I would put a nice gate at the end of my driveway LOL :)

Advice given from a neighbor who had chickens..."Put a radio turned to country music in the coop. Each chicken will lay 2-3 eggs a day for you." Ummm, huh???

Weird comments from non-chickens owners: "Don't you need a rooster to get eggs?". "Doesn't the egg color depends on what they're eating?"

My favorite though is from my hubby before we embarked on this chicken adventure. "I will not eat a brown egg! That's gross!" Now, he loves them and raves to everyone he talks to about how good home grown eggs taste. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom