Dumpster Diving coop with pics.

I already built my coop, and had to buy all new stuff. I noticed my neighbor and torn his shed down and put a very large pile of wood on the road. I took the truck and loaded up with lots of 2x4's, 3, 12 foot treated 4x4's. My little truck was riding low in the back. I want to make another small coop for the bantams and silkies. I had enough wood to frame it out and went to lowes to get a piece of plywood. The shed had that MDF stuff and it was already soaked from the rain we just had. I found one curled up on one end and he gave it to me for 10 dollars. It was regular 30 dollars. Then I noticed a 12 ft piece of slightly damaged corrugated roofing panel. I asked how much he would sell it for and he said 5.00 dollars. When I checked out it was regular 34. dollars. I got 64 dollars worth of stuff for 15 dollars! I did good. Now I need some siding. I am going back to the wood pile, but gonna need help from the hubby, cause some of that stuff is to heavy for just me.

That's great! My goal is to build my 8'X8' coop without any cost to show myself and others it can be done. I do go to about 90 construction sites a week with my work. But a lot of the wood I've got was just setting around and I asked if I could have it. With my boss i was able to land a new job and talked a guy to get a upgrade in return I asked my boss for 4'X8' plywood for the floor, and u got all the siding some pine he had setting for about 5 years. But everything else came from the trash.

That's great! My goal is to build my 8'X8' coop without any cost to show myself and others it can be done. I do go to about 90 construction sites a week with my work. But a lot of the wood I've got was just setting around and I asked if I could have it. With my boss i was able to land a new job and talked a guy to get a upgrade in return I asked my boss for 4'X8' plywood for the floor, and u got all the siding some pine he had setting for about 5 years. But everything else came from the trash.

They are building a new motel down the road from me. I can see their dumpster from the road and it is full of wood. I am scared to go and scavenge the wood. I don't want to be charged with trespassing. I wonder if I just go ask them, will they let me get it?

Due to high crime someone just seeing you they will think the worse. So just ask tell them what your doing, and ask if they can give you a helping hand by allowing you get the wood from the dumpster. Now it the dumpster are in the street like in a subdivision I just jump in.

I wouldn't hesitate to ask if you can have it. It is amazing what gets thrown out during remodels, especially of businesses like hotels.

Due to high crime someone just seeing you they will think the worse. So just ask tell them what your doing, and ask if they can give you a helping hand by allowing you get the wood from the dumpster. Now it the dumpster are in the street like in a subdivision I just jump in.

I went back to the neighbors wood pile with my husband. There was siding under some of the heavy stuff and he helped me dig it out. It was usable and I got enough of the siding to put all around the little bantam coup! I will post a picture when it's done. The only thing I bought was that reduced damage plywood and the roofing panel at lows. So my little coop cost all of 15 dollars so far! I also need to find some "opps" paint at a reduced price to paint it with.

You're my hero.

I'm inspired by this thread, I've collected one pallet and 1 long 2by 4 lol. I got a long way to go. thanks, keep posting and I will keep reading=)

Free water self fill made from 2-2 liters. Cut bottom out of one bottle drill small hole just below the cap on other bottle take cap off fill with water push bottle with cap off to bottom of the other bottle. Turn upside cut window just above water line.

I just started reading your thread...but wanted to mention that you can put that jug up on top of a couple of bricks and presto! No more shavings in it. Saves a lot of work.

Back
Top Bottom