Dunlap Hatchery

Also, their website says, "Araucanas (Amercaunas), or the Easter Egg Chicken as they are commonly referred to, lay eggs in many shades of blue, green and pink. With the array of color these birds bring, in their feathering as well as their eggs, they make a favorite to add to any flock".

Araucanas & Amercaunas are two different breeds........and so are Easter Eggers. So they "dupe" you on THREE counts!! They are saying they are all one in the same....and they are not. So be careful. I don't think they know their breeds very well.

This is our third season ordering chicks, ducks and turkeys from Dunlap Hatchery. We've received nothing but outstanding service and healthy birds. The first two years they sent us a few extra birds with each order, however, this spring we received exactly the number ordered. Must have been a busy year for them.

We purchase approximately 50 meat chickens and a few novelty chickens and ducks for the grandson, Crested Black Polish, Silver Laced Polish, Welch Harlequin and Swedish Blues, each year. These guys are sold in the fall and the money goes into his "Chicken Account". The rest we put in the freezer. Through trial and error we've found that the Red Rangers are by far the best freezer chickens. This year we butchered twenty-two roosters at nine weeks and they averaged just under six pounds dressed. All free range with the feeders kept full of a meat bird mix sold by Bomgarrs. Then hens were butchered at twelve weeks and averaged a little over four pounds dressed. Probably not the best option from a financial standpoint, but we sure ended up with some great meat in the freezer.

After receiving a recommendation on this site for Dunlap Hatchery in Idaho, I checked them out. I normally order my ducks from Metzer in California but Dunlap listed the Cayugas as being ready 3 weeks before anyone else. The site lists that you can order online but when you try to, the buttons wouldn't click for the varieties. I called the company direct to find out what the problem was. They said that the online ordering option was not working but they could take my order by phone. They said the ducklings would be shipped the following Wednesday. On Wednesday I called to see if they would be there on Thursday or Friday. They told me that the hatch was a little late but they would be going out later on in the day. So I knew they wouldn't be there on Thursday so I waited until Friday to go to the post office. No ducklings. I went back home and called the Hatchery. They said the ducklings didn't go out after all on Wednesday, that they went on Thursday. I asked them why they didn't notify me of that because I had made plans for them during the week and I was going to be gone the entire day on Saturday from 6 in the morning until 8 at night. The girl said that they thought they had called everyone but that it had been chaos so they might have missed me. She said "all the way to Missouri" maybe took longer but they were showing as in route so they should be there the next day. I have never gotten a bird order that took longer than 2 days. I called my neighbor and asked him if he could pick the ducks up the following day if I had everything set up and give them each a drink and stick their beaks in the water and food and set them in the cage. He agreed but called the next morning to say that they still were not there. I called the hatchery again, and they looked up the info and said they at the holding facility in Hazelwood. It being Saturday and the Post office being closed everywhere in the country Saturday afternoon and Sunday, the ducklings would be dead by Monday A. M. when I pointed out what a waste this was to the woman she said " Look, Just hold it right there, this is NOT my fault. If I could control the US Post office, I would be a Millionaire. We will replace your birds but there is nothing I can do about this". Sure enough, this morning, I received a box of 20 dead ducklings. In my mind, this is criminal and totally unnecessary. Not to mention the Laisse Faire attitude about it. They don't have an email where you can contact them in writing. In my opinion, Thursday is too late to ship birds, but I will say that California where Metzer is, is a lot farther from Missouri than Idaho and I have never had this problem with them. I am sorely disappointed, and at the risk of sounding Maudlin, I can't stop thinking of all those little ducklings starving and freezing to death in that box. I would not recommend them.

Friday Morning I received another order from Dunlap. Fourteen Ducklings dead, 1 almost dead and all of the 6 remaining were dead by 10:30 a.m. They say they will refund my money and offered to ship some more but 40 dead ducklings are enough for me. I will ordered from Metzer again.

I’ve bought many chicks from Dunlap as I lived just down the road. Recently the quality has gone down. I showed with a judge from The American Poultry Association who said never to buy from there. Their breeding quality is poor. I bought their chicks in the past. Although they looked nice and healthy, Their quality was poor for the breed and would loose and 4H Show. I recently bought a late hatch from them of 30 Golden sex Link pullets. Every one of them had some strange issues and they all died. All 30. Some friends have had bad experiences with their chicks too. I just wouldn’t buy from them again...

I hate judging other businesses! Trust me! I just don’t recommend them if you’re gonna show or anything

Back
Top Bottom