Duramycin??

MikasGirl

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Coos Bay, OR
My mom and I just acquired a rooster, and we wanted to treat him with an antibiotic, Duramycin. Only problem is, we got the antibiotic from our feed store, and they had lost the instructions on how to treat chickens. He has a gallon water and is currently quarantined so does anyone know how I should dose him?

I had the same question a couple years ago. I resorted to measuring out a package. Came up with 94- 1/4 teaspoons per bag. Since the bag said 1 bag to 110 gallons I use a scant 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.

Hope this helps

Imp

ETA- This was the 6.4 oz small foil pouch.

Last edited:
The 1/4 teaspoon sounds about right from what I remember.
Here is what the package I have says:

Duramycin-10

6.4 oz package

each lb contains 25g of tetracycline hydrochloride - the 6.4oz pckage contains 10 grams of tetracycline hydrochloride.

6.4 oz will make:
100 gallons containing 100 mg dose
50 gallons containing 200 mg dose
25 gallons containing 400 mg dose
12.5 gallons conaining 800 mg dose

caution -- prepare fresh solutions at least once per day. Solutions are not stable for more than 24 hours.

For Chickens:
CRD Air Sac diseast - use soluble power in the drinking water at a drug level of 400-800mg per gallon per day. Infectious Synovitis: use soluble powder in the drinking water at a drug level of 200-400 mg per gallon per day. Administer 7-14 days.

Hope this helps.

This is kinda interesting. Different strengths! Who'd a thunk it.

I hesitated responding to this post because in the past others have posted different amounts. One person called the Co. and was told 3/4 tespoon per gallon. Another person said they measured it out and had another different amount.
My package does not have the same info that DTRM30's has, but my package is several years old. Glad you posted it.

I think I'll buy a new package and start measuring again, for all the dosages.

Imp

Are Duramycin and Terramycin the same thing? I haven't started him on it yet, and I found a pack of Terramycin, so I was wondering, Terramycin or Duramycin, which should I give him? Or are they the same? Thanks!

Duramycin is tetracycline. Terramycin is oxytetracycline. They are chemically different because of an added oxygen molecule, but studies have shown that both seem to do an equally good job as a broad spectrum antibiotic. As a layperson, I would consider them interchangeable.

Ok, so my next questions is .... trying to figure out how much powered mix to put in an egg yolk to treat one bird instead of my whole flock. I want a doseage of about 200 mg .....

Anyone have any idea ? I'll try to figure it out later but figured if someone knew off the top of their head ..... ????

Back
Top Bottom