Dust bath help?

Hello! I searched for a thread to see if my question was already answered, and couldn't seem to find one, so please accept my apologies if I missed it somewhere (these forums are HUGE!) Anyway, I've been trying to set up a dust bath for my chickens. I got a medium sized tub from the Dollar Tree and I thought it would work great when I put DE in it, but unfortunately, the chickens almost immediately tipped it over and made it useless. On top of that, it collects rainwater, and doesn't seem to dry very easily after the rain so they can use it again. Instead, they've been using a spot under the raised coop, but they're working a hole under the wrapping around the run and coop. I'm a little nervous it'll make it easier for a predator to get in, so I'd like to discourage this, and instead provide a better dust bath area. Which brings me to my question:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a sturdy and comfortable dust bath area that doesn't hold water and isn't easy to kick and knock around?
I attached a wooden flower box to the coop. It drains well(extra sand helps). I use a pooperscooper to clear it of feathers, rocks, poop. And anything else that ends up inthere. Sturdy and my girls love it

I use a mixture of sifted dirt and wood ash (hardwood only).
This is Pig Pen... wonder how she got that name.
View attachment 3199164

This one I built for my Cinnamon Queens
View attachment 3199182
View attachment 3199180

This is the one that the Rhode Island Red hens use.
View attachment 3199183

Both use the same type of tubby and they have never tipped it over.

DON'T USE DE!

JT
Hi there! I know this is an old post, but I’m curious about your run. Do you use wood chips and pine shavings? My run is just dirt/sand. I’m thinking about converting it to something more composty. I don’t like cleaning it every day. Thoughts? Thanks

Hi there! I know this is an old post, but I’m curious about your run. Do you use wood chips and pine shavings? My run is just dirt/sand. I’m thinking about converting it to something more composty. I don’t like cleaning it every day. Thoughts? Thanks
In one I have straw and in the other I have pine chips... I clean both every day.

JT

Back
Top Bottom