Dust bath help?

Hi there! I know this is an old post, but I’m curious about your run. Do you use wood chips and pine shavings? My run is just dirt/sand. I’m thinking about converting it to something more composty. I don’t like cleaning it every day. Thoughts? Thanks
In one I have straw and in the other I have pine chips... I clean both every day.

JT

My Cinnamon Queen Hens all try to get in the dust bath at once when I put fresh bathing dust in there. There was 5 trying to get in at first but by the time I got back with my phone one had given up.
View attachment 3200855
View attachment 3200856

JT
I made mine one out of 1x6's (2ft square but they don't like it)...Where did you get the tub? I'm thinking they like it raised up...I'm not skilled enough to make yours. But mine do like the raised bed garden I have, but I need something I can move when I need to.

Last edited:
I made mine one out of 1x8's (2ft square but they don't like it)...Where did you get the tub? I'm thinking they like it raised up...I'm not skilled enough to make yours. But mine do like the raised bed garden I have, but I need something I can move when I need to.
Both groups use the same tubby from Wally World probably. I put clean dirt mixed with hardwood ash in them. If your like it raised up just put the wood one upside down and the plastic one on top.

JT

How is this supposed to work when the wet season starts?
I have a sandy floor in the coop but it maybe isn't deep enough, but it is dry. Never use it.
They had a sand turtle in the run but it is so shady it never dries out from the lid being missed in one cloudburst.

They have dug up a small sunny garden (guess I was done?) but it is a puddle now.

I'm worried that I am going to have grubby birds because all they have is one or two spots scratched out under the coop for the dozen of them, and even those are starting to have seep.

Back
Top Bottom