Dust bath question

Finally finished our coop and run for our 6 hens. I have 3 - 13 week olds and 3- 8 week olds. After much stressing I landed on sand for inside the coop, sand under the coop in the run and dirt for the rest of run where I throw in weeds and things they can peck thru. They are used to sand because it was in my smaller coop and run and they spend a lot of time digging and sitting in the sand under the run, especially when its hot out. I sprinkled sweet pdz in coop and drop board. Do I need to make a dust bath for them or is the sand and dirt run enough? Will they even use it? I am also thinking of bug prevention and i know it’s controversial but have seen a lot of people sprinkle food grade DE in dust bath. Or i guess i could mix it in sand under run? I was definitely going to dust around outside of run with it. Thoughts? Also, right now they stay in the run. I don’t trust our Bernedoodle to not traumatize them and am thinking I would only free range with a movable fence extended from run door in the futureView attachment 3563601
Nice setup!

Back
Top Bottom