Dust bath question

Mine had their first free range today. Newbie chicken owner here...BUT I swear they were in depression due to the cold and rain we had the last few weeks. Today was 67 so I let them out...they loved it. We will definitely be doing it again so I assume I will get the holes also. Good thing is they liked the grass in the pasture better than my back yard so I might be lucky ;)

Hi I'm new to this...Getting my first 4 pullets in two weeks. I have hard clay like dirt & its February in NJ so ground frozen. Does anywhere sell pre mixed dust bath? I dont have a fireplace or wood stove & not sure if anywhere local sells sand this time of year?

Hi I'm new to this...Getting my first 4 pullets in two weeks. I have hard clay like dirt & its February in NJ so ground frozen. Does anywhere sell pre mixed dust bath? I dont have a fireplace or wood stove & not sure if anywhere local sells sand this time of year?

Oh honey, just go to your local home improvement store and buy a bag of play sand or top soil ($2-3 for 50lb bag) and add it to a bin for them to bathe in. They don't really like bathing in sand that is the bedding in the coop but if it is on the ground or in a dish pan they will roll in it like no tomorrow. If you have BBQ's this summer then save any wood ash and throw it in there too.

Under my coop is all dirt the birds should treat that as their own dust bath right? We burn a lot of wood so I can out ash down there to. I just wasn't sure if I need an actual bin or if they can use the ground

Under my coop is all dirt the birds should treat that as their own dust bath right? We burn a lot of wood so I can out ash down there to. I just wasn't sure if I need an actual bin or if they can use the ground
Ground works great. the only time folks worry about it is when it's too muddy or whatever. Most birds strongly prefer the ground--mine love to make ankle breaking holes!

Back
Top Bottom