Dust bath question

Faerie

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 24, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
I was going to set up a dust bath for my chicks. I have read that you can just use dirt from outside, or peat moss, or sand. I have some organic seed starter, would that be ok to use in case the ground is still frozen when they get here?

I am actually wondering the same thing...my chickens are spending all of their time in their coop right now due to sub-zero temps. And I was wondering if I should make a dust bath to put inside for them. I could make one from a tub with sand, as they are trying to make one themselves in the straw but the ground is frozen (tractor coop) so it is not working out too well for them.

Even the chicks that are only a week old love to dust bath. The organic seed starting mix works well for my chicks. It makes a dusty mess in the area where the brooder is, but they really enjoy it. The dust box will need refilled every week or so because the chicks use it and spill it. Enjoy your chicks, they grow super fast!!

I made our dust bath out of 1 X 4s and plywood, so it is just a shallow box. I dust the bottom with Diatomaceous earth, then fill it with Organic Sphagnum peat and a few scoops of concrete mix sand. The chicks/chickens are absolutely wild for it! Interestingly, once they frolic in it for a day, they won't touch it until it is cleaned and refilled.

Back
Top Bottom