dust bath?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dustoff79, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Dustoff79

Dustoff79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    I received my 25 chicks earlier this week [​IMG], I have them in the coop/brooder with heat, water, and food. the floor is vinyl covered with paper towels. I plan on removing the paper towels tomorrow and replacing with shavings.

should I keep the paper towels underneath the shavings since the vinyl is sort of slippery?

Also, should I add a dust bath? if so, what should I use as a container? I was thinking of using a 12"x12" piece of scrap plywood and putting 1"x2" around the edges and filling it with a mix of dirt and DE.

This chick thing is really cool, It is addictive. [​IMG]

2. I never thought of doing this. Problem for me has always been the room. By the time I think i can put something in the brooder the chicks have grown to twice their original size and i barely have room for a waterer and a bowl of feed.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I think its an excellent idea myself, im with rimshoes tho i never have enough room for anything but feed and water bowls

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I had a few outings inside with my chicks. I took a small mixing tub (about the size of a cat litter pan) and dug up some dirt, grass and weeds. They loved scratching around in it and eatting the grass roots, but only one took advantage of the dusting. If you have a lot of chicks, you could give them turns in the tubs.

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My chicks spend their days dust bathing in their wood shavings! I tried a lid full of sand for the last babies I had, and it just got kicked out all over the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by