Dust bathes

Dust baths are any area of dirt they can find. No need to make one they do it all on their own, usually in the flower beds.
he.gif

If your chickens don't have access to dirt you can put some loamy dry soil in a big pot, maybe 16 inches diameter and 6 inches deep and they will have fun scratching and throwing the dirt on themselves. It's very amusing to watch!

Will play sand work? do i need to put anything else in to help with mites fleas ticks and so forth also what is de and do i need that and where would i get it?

I took a plastic bin designed to mix concrete in and mixed some DE in with a bag of play sand......wow do my chickies love it!! They crack me up in that thing! Although they have now bathed so much that the container is only about 1/2 of what is used to be....I guess I will have to add more. I didn't realize that when I did it - but they even get in there together sometimes and go to town rolling and kicking up that sand.....

DE is kinda hard to find......I found a place in my state that carried it for an okay price through the perma-guard website. cost as much to ship it as it did for the bag.....lol. But it's worth it - I love the stuff - it goes in their food, in the coop and the run and the nests and the dust bath.

Back
Top Bottom