DUST BATHS

dirt from the yard will be find. We were told to never use the packaged play sand from the building supply store. If you go to the lumber yard, ask for building sand or construction sand. The cement plant is a good place to get sand. dirt from your garden or yard will be ok also.

Please tell me why you were told not to use play sand? I used that with my first flock and now I am starting to use it with my new additions. They love it! I got that advice from someone else here.

I used to just grab a shovel and toss piles of plain old outside dirt into a small, low bin. They would eat it for grit and fight for dust bathing space, but they LOVED it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/using-sand-in-your-chicken-coop

PRECAUTIONS & THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN DECIDING IF SAND IS RIGHT FOR YOU
Respiratory Concerns
If you or your family have any respiratory concerns, sand may NOT be right for you. Sand is largely comprised of Silica, a substance that can be harmful to your lungs with repeated exposure to silica dust. While construction sand is mostly small to medium size pepples & particles, after time it will be ground down through normal chicken coop use into a fine powder. This fine powder, when inhaled, can collect in your lungs and cannot be expelled. Long term exposure and inhalation of silica dust causes a respiratory disease called Silicosis. A quick spray with the hose before working with old finely ground sand and/or face mask protection is advisable for everyone, regardless if you have a compromised respiratory system.
Climate Concerns
Several folks have expressed a concern regarding sand usage in extremely cold climates. It WILL BE COLD, unless you have a heated coop. While I haven't measured the difference myself, I do believe that it will maintain about the same temperature as the ground surface in your climate. Therefore it is just as cold as the ground is to walk on. So if you prefer for you chickens to have something warmer underfoot, you might consider a different bedding method during the winter months. I DO NOT recommend putting woodchips ONTOP of a sand base. The resulting mix will hold moisture thanks to the woodchips. If you would like to keep your sand but still have concerns, a sparse layer of straw on top of your sand base will be great. The straw will mat together with the poop and create a secondary surface which is easily raked out and replaced as often as you feel is necessary.

PLEASE READ THIS WARNING!!!!
DO NOT MIX wood chips and or straw with wet poopy sand! If you have a drainage issue, adding straw or wood chips on top of mucky sand is going to make the problem WORSE and seriously foul smelling!!!

Back
Top Bottom