Dust Nest Boxes?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KDailey, Dec 15, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I have no idea what a duck nest box is supposed to look like. Are they just like chicken nest boxes?

Do ducks like them covered and dark?
    How big should they be? (I have one swedish, 2 calls, 1 runner, 3 ?'s
    If I have the ducks on a pond is there a way to build them a nest that is somewhat predator proof?
    Will it work if I put the ducks up at night and let them out in the mornin on pond?

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I use plastic totes with a hole cut in front and wooden boxes just like for chickens just larger. Ducks do tend to lay better in enclosed nests but remember in the wild they build an open nest but well camoflauged

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I've never had much luck with nesting boxes. I don't think there's going to be a good predator proof nesting box but i could be wrong. If it was me i'd lock them up at night then let them out in the morning.

4. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    The main difference I know of is that chickens actually prefer boxes not on the ground but up a foot or two. I have 2 over sized nest boxes at ground level for my ducks. One of the nest boxes has 2 spots for them in it, so the over all the count is more like 3. All my girls just share the boxes usually all laying in just one box although they do switch from time to time. My nest boxes are like little one room houses to keep them dry and have a door big enough for them to get in and out because they are in a nighttime pen for protection. All the girls are finished laying before I let them out of the pen in the morning.

Metzer farms has a page on building duck and geese nest boxes. The main advantage I see for their smaller nest box dimensions is that ducks won't be laying an egg on top of other eggs. I have had a few break because of one falling on top of another. http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/time-to-prepare-those-duck-and-goose.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by