Dusting for Mites

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RoosterAddict99, Jan 9, 2013.

1. RoosterAddict99

RoosterAddict99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Hello all! I'm about to go outside and dust my chickens for mites. I've never had a problem with mites before, but my chickens started dying off one by one and the other day I went to the coop and found my sebright hen dead on the floor with hundreds of mites crawling all over her! I had previously seen some little bugs on the chickens but, I hadn't thought much of it. I had 32 chickens a couple of weeks ago and now I have 25. I honestly thought they were dying of the cold. So, my question is, how do I actually dust each chicken? I bought some dust at TSC and am ready to start. Do I just pore it on them? Rub it in? Should I like, bathe them or something first? I'm sorry if this is kind of a silly question and I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place (although I'm pretty sure mites count as 'managing your flock') I'd love any advise or thoughts you might have! Thanks everyone!!!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Poor it up under their feathers. Dont get in their eyes or mouth. Also clean the ENTIRE coop and dust it.

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I dust the area around their butt, in front of tail and under both wings using Sevin dust.

I sprinkle some into their pine shavings also. Be careful to not get in their eyes because it does burn them.

Also don't inhale the stuff while dusting as I found that it gives me a headache.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yep, get it in under their feathers, especially under the wings and around the butt.

With a mite infestation that bad, you might have internal parasites, as well. Have you thought of deworming them? A pour-on dewormer will kill internal AND external parasites.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by